Happy Monday, friends and fans!
I want to jump right into this because this could be a fantastic opportunity for all young football players. If someone you know would be interested in attending the Lincoln Riley Football Camp in the coming weeks, they can sign up now. They’ll have a chance to learn under the instruction of Oklahoma’s high-profile coaching staff and can even work with some of the players.
We are on the CAMP COUNTDOWN - less than ONE MONTH AWAY!— Lincoln Riley FB Camp (@RileyFBCamp) May 7, 2018
Register NOW at https://t.co/YE0UZGJYmQ! pic.twitter.com/hEFkCpCvYt
Riley has really come full circle since Bob Stoops retired 11 months ago. With each passing period, Lincoln adds his own unique stamp on the program. I know I’m excited to see how Oklahoma will grow under his leadership.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! ESPN says Baker Mayfield shouldn’t start for the Browns until Week 12, John Shinn discusses Kyler Murray’s chances for the 2,000/1,000-yard club, a Texas woman turned $18 into $1.2 million at the Kentucky Derby and more!
- Infielder Kyle Mendenhall and pitcher Devon Perez are the two seniors on Oklahoma’s baseball team, and on Sunday they were honored as part of Senior Day. It was also a nice touch that the Sooners completed the sweep against the Kansas State Wildcats. The Sooners have now swept series with three conference foes, improving to 31-18 on the season and 13-8 in Big 12 play.
Securing a sweep on Senior Day ➡️ https://t.co/g5KnNJSWCy pic.twitter.com/Q7K3PZ9Xcc— Oklahoma Baseball (@OU_Baseball) May 7, 2018
- ESPN made some projections for when the QBs selected in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft should start and when they will start. According to the article, Baker Mayfield should start in Week 12, but instead will be thrust into action in the second half of Week 8.
- One of the points of emphasis for Baker Mayfield in the Cleveland Browns’ training camp so far has been familiarizing himself with taking snaps from under center. It hasn’t been perfect, but it’s far from concerning, and Mayfield is adjusting quickly.
- John Shinn discusses the likelihood Kyler Murray (if named the starter) passes for 2,000 yards and rushes for 1,000 yards this season. Personally, I think both are achievable, but the rushing total will be the closer call. Still, I think there will be at least a couple games when Murray will break a couple big ones for chunks.
- Former Oklahoma Sooners point guard has Jordan Shepherd has announced his decision to transfer to the Charlotte 49ers. Good luck back in North Carolina, Jordan!
Home is where the heart is I’m coming back to NC! pic.twitter.com/Iy5gMkj4OX— Jordan Shepherd (@Jordan_Shep13) May 7, 2018
Around the Sports World
- The Kentucky Derby was this weekend, so you know a ton of money was placed on all kinds of bets. But I bet nobody made more money than this woman, who saw an $18 wager pay-off to the tune of $1.2 million. Yes, this is very real.
- Hafthor Bjornsson, also known as ‘The Mountain’ (the name of the character he plays on Game of Thrones) has been crowned World’s Strongest Man. I’ve been working out for the past couple months, but what he and his competitors do for a living blows my mind. Congratulations on the title, Hafthor!
- 2019 three-star QB Cale Millen made his commitment to Oregon official by chugging raw eggs with Ducks head coach Mario Cristobal. Don’t try this at home, kids.
Oregon QB commit Cale Millen (@millen_10) drinks raw eggs with @coach_cristobal to celebrate his commitment. That’s dedication - for player and coach pic.twitter.com/W6tNB7d8fA— Andrew Nemec (@AndrewNemec) May 6, 2018
- Cal graduate transfer running back Tre Watson announced that he is headed to Austin to join the Longhorns. Watson chose Texas over LSU and Texas Tech.
Blessed to be apart of THE University of Texas!!!!! #hookem pic.twitter.com/zCyZ4tLWrF— Tre Watson (@tre1watson) May 6, 2018
- St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina underwent emergency surgery after being struck in the groin with a 102 mph fastball. Gosh, it actually hurt me just to type that out. Get well soon, man.
Stick to Sports!
- The trailer for the 5th season of the popular comedy series Arrested Development has just been released. You can watch the new season streaming only on Netflix starting May 29th.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!