How’s it going, friends and fans? In today’s hot links, ESPN has Oklahoma in its top 5 post-spring rankings, Bedlam softball has been moved up today to try to stay ahead of the weather, Charles Barkley wants to punch Draymond Green in the face (get in line, Chuck) and more!
- ESPN released its post-spring top 25, and the Oklahoma Sooners are No. 5. I’d say it’s a fair spot to be in, given the departure of the Heisman Trophy winner and several other key offensive pieces. Still, the cupboard is stacked to replace much of that production, and Lincoln Riley is still calling the shots.
- USA Today re-ranked its top 25 teams and Oklahoma checks in at No. 7. According Paul Myerberg, the greatest asset the Sooners have going for them is Lincoln Riley’s offensive system.
- The quarterback competition will probably last well into fall practice, says Diehards’ John Shinn. If you’re looking for a date that fans could possibly learn who the official starter will be, keep an eye out for August 20th, which marks the end of the pre-season camp and the start of the fall semester.
- In order for Oklahoma’s defense to truly improve this season, the depth needs to be quality. Fortunately for the Sooners, recent recruiting efforts have added a considerable amount of talent, and that should in turn breed the necessary competition.
- It’s Bedlam in Oklahoma once again! This time its on the softball field, but there’s been a schedule shift to 5:30 since inclement weather threatens to roll in later this evening. The Sooners have won 17 straight over the Cowgirls, and are currently undefeated in conference play.
TIME CHANGE— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) May 2, 2018
Due to anticipated inclement weather, today's game has been MOVED UP to 5:30 p.m. CT. pic.twitter.com/dqbHl1lLdg
- College softball has never been more popular nationwide than it is today, and Oklahoma is setting the bar with its record-breaking sellouts. Winning has a lot to do with the increased attention and excitement, but a lot should be credited to head coach Patty Gasso and the incredible staff and team she’s put together.
Around the Sports World
- If I’m not mistaken, I believe Charles Barkley wants to punch Draymond Green in the face. Maybe I’m reading too much into his comments, but that’s the vibe I’m getting.
Charles Barkley on Draymond Green "I want to punch his ass in the face" pic.twitter.com/zIyDNXV7e7— gifdsports (@gifdsports) May 2, 2018
Draymond Green was notified about Chuck’s comment after the game and had this to say as a response. I’m actually surprised Green was as composed as he was. Let’s hope this isn’t the end of Chuck vs. Draymond. You know, for the drama.
Draymond Green with a strong response to Charles Barkley saying he would punch him in the face pic.twitter.com/tBLRAei3zW— Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) May 2, 2018
- Referee Jason Phillips may receive a letter from the NBA for not making a call in the final seconds of the Pelicans/Warriors game. Whether it was a foul or a jump ball, something had to be called. Instead he just stands there and decides the game is over already. Very bizarre.
the referee (jason phillips) legitimately just decided the game was over and he wasn't going to call a foul or jump ball here. it didn't matter, but you can't do that. pic.twitter.com/095ADFod9d— Tim Cato (@tim_cato) May 2, 2018
- There was also some drama in the other NBA playoff game of the night. The Cleveland Cavaliers were in Toronto, and of course Drake was there because he’s Canadian. Apparently, Drake and Kendrick Perkins exchanged some words, but it never escalated beyond that. There’s video of the exchange in the link, but just a heads up, some of the language may not be safe for work.
- Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney and Florida head coach Dan Mullen recently played a round of golf together, and Dabo pranked Dan with the classic exploding golf ball. Apparently it was payback for Dan doing the exact same thing to Dabo the year before. These guys are a trip. Hilarious stuff.
- St. Louis Cardinal Dexter Fowler has the most accommodating wife in the world. Aliya, his wife, is pregnant, and actually re-scheduled her C-section because it was going to interfere with the Cardinals’ series with the Chicago Cubs. Fowler is close friends with Anthony Rizzo, and he wanted to make sure he could hang out with his buddy when they played. Where can I find a woman like that? The lucky son of a gun.
Stick to Sports!
- As many of you are aware, it’s tornado season ‘round these parts. The state of Kansas has already experienced several tornadoes, but the first 2018 report in Oklahoma didn’t come until yesterday near Buffalo, OK. If true, that would be the latest date for the year’s first tornado in Oklahoma history, surpassing the previous record of April 26th, 1962. Stay weather-aware, folks. There’s increasing talk of some severe weather in Oklahoma beginning as early as this afternoon.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!