Happy Monday, friends and fans! I hope your Easter Sunday was a good one, and I hope you survived April Fool’s Day unscathed. Speaking of fools, with the NFL Draft coming up, the fools have been out in full bloom, prompting FS1’s Joel Klatt to drop some cold, hard knowledge. In this edition of ‘Klatt Back’, Klatt shreds a Baker Mayfield hater on Twitter. Over the past few seasons, I’ve noticed that Klatt has routinely been one of the more level-headed college football analysts out there. Watch and listen if you haven’t before. The former Buff really knows his stuff.
I’m guessing ‘24karat’ is Colin Cowherd’s burner account. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it. Now onto today’s Hot Links. Sooner Baseball is back in the top 25, CeeDee Lamb revealed he was playing injured for most of the 2017 season (following the Iowa State TD), you can claim free pizza from Little Caesar’s today and more!
- After an impressive start to open conference play, Oklahoma Baseball is ranked No. 19 in the nation in Baseball America’s poll — one of the major polls college baseball. The Sooners have swept its first two conference series and will try to keep the momentum going on the road this week against a tough TCU club.
- Former Oklahoma Sooner Kameron McGusty has reportedly narrowed his list of transfer destinations to Miami, Virginia Tech, and Houston. McGusty is from the Houston area, so that could be the place to keep a close eye on. I’m not sure how he’d fare with Kelvin Sampson, but I wish him the best nonetheless.
Oklahoma transfer Kameron McGusty tells me his top three schools are Miami, Virginia Tech, and Houston. Visits Miami this weekend.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 2, 2018
- Does Oklahoma have the best college basketball program without a national championship? The Sooners have made the Final Four five times, which is tied for the most appearances for a school that has never won the whole thing.
- Coach Bill Bedenbaugh has developed a reputation for being a great all-around coach. He recruits well, he develops his players, and he has a ton of experience. The question of him becoming a head coach isn’t going away any time soon, but Bedenbaugh is more than satisfied in his current role.
- Apparently, CeeDee Lamb was never back to full strength after the injury he suffered in Oklahoma’s loss to Iowa State. Lamb still had a monster freshman campaign, so does that mean a stronger, more experienced Lamb could have a break-out season in 2018 from a national perspective?
- Class of 2019 four-star receiver Theo Wease Jr. has narrowed his list of schools he’s considering to five, with Oklahoma making the cut. The Sooners are widely believed to be in great standing with Wease, so it’s no surprise that he has them squarely in his top five.
- Speaking of talented wide receivers, OU hosted Roebuck (Dorman HS), S.C. WR Jacoby Pinckney this past weekend. He’s an intriguing prospect, and you should check out his highlights.
- On Saturday, class of 2019 four-star offensive tackle Amari Knight released his top 10 schools he’s considering, and the Sooners made the cut. Knight is from the state of Alabama, so it’ll be difficult to pull him out from under the Crimson Tide, Tigers and others, but with Bill Bedenbaugh recruiting him, it isn’t impossible.
Around the Sports World
- REMINDER: Because the 16-seeded UMBC Retrievers took down No. 1 seeded Virginia in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, Little Caesar’s is providing free pizza for everybody today!
- The New York Yankees were supposed to play their first home game of the season today, but that’s been postponed. Did New York get the memo that it’s supposed to be April now?
- Some unnamed golf pros think it’s “a joke” that Tiger Woods is the favorite to win the Masters. I wish those guys would reveal themselves. It would make for quite the drama.
- Here’s a real joke. Anthony ‘The Brow’ Davis posted this video of him making a drastic change to his look, but later revealed it was all just for some April Fool’s Day fun. Still, it was pretty convincing, minus the camera suspiciously falling over at the moment of truth.
The people have spoken, time for a little change... pic.twitter.com/i5GiGdMei9— Anthony Davis (@AntDavis23) March 31, 2018
- QB Josh Allen has a ton of physical gifts that make him intriguing as a prospect, but is the fact that he struggled so much against the few good teams he played getting overlooked?
- LeBron James and Justin Timberlake have been hanging out a bunch, and they’re making everybody jealous of their awesome friendship, including me. Thanks for the invite, LBJ and JT.
Stick to Sports!
- University of Florida President Kent Fuchs announced yesterday that all campus parking fines handed out over the past year could be wiped out through a new amnesty program. Of course, since the announcement came on April 1st, many students thought such an amnesty program was a joke. As it turned out, there was no joke. That’s actually pretty neat.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!