Hello once again, Sooner fans. The Oklahoma Sooners are in a bit of a holding pattern with the combine now wrapped up and the Big 12 Tournament still a day away. While the NFL Combine is officially concluded, the buzz coming from the weekend is still making its rounds. Some of that buzz is about Jordan Thomas, and unexpectedly so.
As it turns out, Jordan Thomas ran the fastest three-cone drill the NFL Combine has ever seen with a time of 6.28 seconds and tied for the fastest 20-yard shuttle by a DB in this year’s combine at 3.94. Obviously, those are sensational times for anybody, and perhaps no Sooner at the combine needed it more than JT.
It’ll be interesting to see how these times affect Thomas’ draft stock, since it was pretty low coming into the combine. If he duplicates these numbers on Oklahoma’s pro-day, and improves his underwhelming 4.64 40 by about a tenth of a second, he could be a solid day three guy.
Now onto today’s Hot Links! Trae Young has been named to his first All-America team, Oklahoma is now being projected as a No. 9 seed, PFF sees Baker Mayfield going No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns and more!
- Trae Young is a Sporting News first team All-American. Congratulations, Trae!
- Check out this sweet video of Trae Young as he returns to his old stomping grounds. Young also talks about his early days as a baller and why Oklahoma was the right choice for him. The inside footage and interviews are all brought to you exclusively by the Overtime sports network. Check them out for more awesome content like this.
- Trae Young has also been named one of five finalists for the Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award. The winner will be announced on April 6th at ESPN’s College Basketball Awards Ceremony.
The first major conference player in NCAA history with 8️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ points and 2️⃣5️⃣0️⃣ assists in one season, @thetraeyoung is one of 5️⃣ finalists for the Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) March 5, 2018
➡️ https://t.co/BM2jSrHa7p pic.twitter.com/O7l45fst3e
- Looks like Oklahoma’s NCAA Tournament hopes may be trending in the right direction. According to this updated bracketology report, the Sooners are looking at a No. 9 seed, up one spot from the last bracket update. Anywhere above a 10 seed would be nice, considering how bleak have looked.
- If Oklahoma State defeats Oklahoma in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament, both schools could find their way into the First Four of the NCAA Tournament. The First Four is essentially two play-in games, and certainly not a scenario the Sooners would want to find themselves in.
- Pro Football Focus projects Baker Mayfield to take his talents to Cleveland with the first overall pick in this post-NFL Combine mock draft. Also of note, no other Sooners are being taken in the first round in this mock draft. Orlando Brown’s rough weekend may have dropped his stock down to day two of the draft, which would be incredibly unfortunate.
- Which defensive players coming out of their redshirt seasons could impact the team the most in 2018? Diehards’ John Shinn answers that question.
- 2018 offensive tackle signee Darrell Simpson is not just a football player, the 6-7, 336 pound lineman also imposes his will on the basketball court for his high school team.
- Congratulations to Joe Castiglione for being honored as one of four ADs to be named Under Armour Athletic Director of the Year by the NACDA (National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics). Castiglione has been a pivotal figure in the continued success of Oklahoma’s athletic department for two decades.
Around the Sports World
- So it seems like the NCAA wants to drag out the bracket reveal on Selection Sunday, and really it’s just unnecessary. Why not just stick to revealing the bracket, instead of announcing the teams first and then the bracket? Any way to milk more time for advertisements and sponsors, I suppose.
On Selection Sunday, CBS/Turner say they will reveal all 68 teams ‘followed’ by the brackets pic.twitter.com/3IaSVI3IJG— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) March 6, 2018
- One of the gems to come out of the college basketball’s FBI investigation was an agent meeting up with a high school player for fondue at a couple different chain restaurants. Of course, the lovely folks here at SB Nation had some fun with prime-for-crime restaurants with the most potential for harboring scandals and good eats.
- Wow. In what was probably the biggest highlight of the extreme blowout that was the Celtics/Bulls game last night, Marcus Smart did that one thing. You know? This:
Marcus Smart is a man a many talents. pic.twitter.com/BPfcCW26P1— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) March 6, 2018
- Jason Terry got Lance Stephenson with his own move. If you recall, Stephenson went viral when he blew into LeBron James’ ear during a playoff game. Also, Jason Terry is still in the association?
- Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver has announced that he will forgo his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. No, not in 2018, but 2019. Oliver will be entering his junior season this fall, but he is already making it known that he intends to wrap up his collegiate career at the conclusion of the upcoming season. Interesting timing, but the decision was inevitable.
- This was a pretty powerful moment that exemplifies the bond that can form between a player and his coach. Fairfield’s all-time leading scorer, Tyler Nelson, and head coach Sydney Johnson have undoubtedly experienced a lot together through the game of basketball, so it’s no wonder to see the level of emotion from these two at the end of a long journey.
This is what it's all about.— ESPN (@espn) March 6, 2018
As he checks out, Fairfield's all-time leading scorer Tyler Nelson shared an emotional moment with his head coach Sydney Johnson. pic.twitter.com/O6nCOuUv4P
Stick to Sports!
- It’s been announced that the hit new-age horror series Black Mirror will be releasing a fifth season on Netflix. I’ve personally only seen a handful of episodes, but from what I can tell, the ideas are actually quite clever, which is something I was worried the show wouldn’t deliver on. I know plenty of people who are already gearing up to binge-watch this next installment.
The future will be brighter than ever. pic.twitter.com/slVeg3VPd7— Black Mirror (@blackmirror) March 5, 2018
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!