How’s it going, everyone? On-campus classes have been cancelled at the University of Oklahoma today, but we’re not shutting things down here at the Machine! In case you missed it, today’s scheduled baseball home-opener against Abilene Christian has been postponed due to the icy weather, so try to stay safe if you need to do some traveling, folks.
In Canadian news, Baker Mayfield was claimed by the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts. Mayfield was among 90 players whose rights were selected by CFL teams, but the selections will obviously not infringe upon his NFL opportunity. Basically, if the NFL just absolutely does not work out for Baker, and he still wants to play football, he’ll be playing as an Argonaut in Toronto. Neat, eh?
For today’s edition of Hot Links, Oklahoma is seen as one of 10 teams that can win it all next football season, Trae Young can break the all-time record for most threes in a freshman season, and the Sooners add one more to the class of 2018 in tight end Dane Saltarelli!
- Bleacher Report listed 10 teams with a chance to win the 2019 College Football Playoff, and the Oklahoma Sooners made the cut thanks in large part to Lincoln Riley’s offense and a worthy but manageable schedule.
- Star-Telegram writer Mac Engel once wrote that Baker Mayfield would be an NFL Draft bust. At the Davey O’Brien Award ceremony, Engel met with Mayfield face-to-face. Mayfield acknowledged Engel’s past take and handled it respectfully. And yes, Baker will indeed be making a lot more money than you, Mac.
- There is still time for the Oklahoma Sooners to right the ship and claim a decent spot in the NCAA Tournament, but the time for a late-season turnaround is running out fast.
- Trae Young hasn’t been efficient from beyond the arc as of late, but that hasn’t kept him from owning the Big 12 record for most three-pointers made in a freshman season. What’s even more impressive is that Young is within reach of the all-time record, which is held by Steph Curry.
- Class of 2018 tight end Dane Saltarelli has elected to come to Oklahoma as a preferred walk-on. Saltarelli comes from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, the same school where signees Brendan Radley-Hiles and T.J. Pledger are from. Welcome, Dane!
Blessed to be a Sooner‼️ #ST2K18 #OUDNA #BoomerSooner pic.twitter.com/jBUJogBXRx— Dane Saltarelli (@dane_saltarelli) February 21, 2018
- Chad Crumley, a former Oklahoma gymnast, is in the movie Black Panther. Crumley’s on-screen role is small, but he does have a line in the film. Crumley is primarily a stuntman, and from the sounds of it he’s a rather good one. Awesome stuff!
Around the Sports World
- Lindsey Vonn won bronze in women’s downhill skiing, becoming the oldest woman to medal in the event. Vonn expects to retire before the next Winter Olympics.
In what's likely @lindseyvonn's last downhill run in the #WinterOlympics, she finds herself in medal position. #BestOfUS https://t.co/DvBQXKf1TH pic.twitter.com/tGRzv1iW8Q— NBC Olympics (@NBCOlympics) February 21, 2018
- Kikkan Randall and Jessie Diggins won USA’s first gold medal in cross country skiing. Way to go, ladies! History in the making.
American cross country skiers Kikkan Randall and Jessie Diggins win historic #gold. https://t.co/kobydUxOf2 #Olympics #TeamUSA pic.twitter.com/ILF9GFqWBS— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) February 21, 2018
- College football attendance rates have dropped some over the past several seasons. So how can the people in charge brings those numbers back up again? Well, a winning program is typically the most successful method, but what are some other ways to entice fans into watching the games live in-stadium?
- Vacating wins is one of the more severe penalties for violating NCAA rules, but is the punishment really a punishment?
- So what’s the latest on Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier? After suffering a terrible spine injury, Shazier is still in the rehabilitation process, but says he plans to make it back on the field. Whether he is able to play again or not, Shazier appears to be in good spirits and is surrounded with a ton of support. We’re all rooting for you, Ryan.
- I’m no curling expert, but I’m quite certain that this is not supposed to happen. Yikes.
일본 컬링팀의 기적의 마법샷ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ pic.twitter.com/iV6AuR8psn— 文派 The SteelraiN_강철비 (@SteellraiN) February 21, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- Steven Spielberg is producing a new horror film called The Turning, starring Stranger Things actor Finn Wolfhard. Filming is taking place in Ireland, and is set for release sometime in 2019.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!