Hello, friends and fans! There’s plenty on the docket for all of you today to catch up on your Oklahoma Sooners and more. Also, this weekend is a big one for Sooner Sports. Skip Johnson begins his first season as head coach of Oklahoma’s baseball team tomorrow, and on Saturday, Lon Kruger and the Sooner basketball team host the Texas Longhorns in Part 2 of the regular season series.
Speaking of the basketball game, the team is strongly encouraging all fans who plan to attend to come early. There’s even a sweet incentive: this creepy Blake Griffin bobblehead! It’ll only be available for the first 1,500 fans who show up at the north, east and west entrances. If you get one, you can make all your coworkers jealous, because who wouldn’t want a Blake Griffin nightmare fuel bobblehead of their very own?
The #Sooners host Texas on Saturday and are encouraging fans to #ArriveSooner for the 11 a.m. tip.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) February 14, 2018
The first 1,500 fans will receive a free @blakegriffin23 bobblehead at the north, east and west entrances! pic.twitter.com/Xr0q1zK4Au
Now onto Thursday’s edition of Hot Links, where Baker Mayfield reminds scouts that he’s also a winner, Trae Young is the victim of the media hype machine, Sooner Baseball is set to take the field again and so much more!
- Baker Mayfield pointed out a big part of what makes a great QB to former player and current NFL analyst Bucky Brooks. Mayfield definitely has a point, too. It’s always interesting to me to see comparisons to Drew Brees or Russell Wilson because of Mayfield’s size, and where those guys were drafted. I’m sure if the draft were held again, knowing what we know now, those two guys wouldn’t make it out of the top 10 without getting snatched up. Winners, baby.
Actually a well written piece.... But you left out the most important thing in football... that one thing called winning. People forgot mention that with my man @deshaunwatson 's game last year.....— Baker Mayfield (@baker_mayfield6) February 15, 2018
- So what if Baker Mayfield never left Texas Tech? A lot would be drastically different. From the teams to the rules, things would definitely be different.
- ESPN has released its FPI preseason rankings, and the Sooners are projected to have the No 1. rated offense again in 2018, with a ninth place ranking overall. Not bad, if true.
- ESPN college basketball analyst Seth Greenberg expresses his feelings towards the Texas Tech fans who chanted profanities directed at Trae Young on Tuesday night. Greenberg specifically calls out the Red Raider administration, which at the time of him saying this had not yet made any kind of statement or taken any actions.
- Texas Tech later issued a statement in response to the profane chant. If it was an apology they were after, I think they missed the mark. Sometimes you just have to actually use apologetic language, if that’s what you’re after. Instead, Texas Tech recapped what we already know happened, and told fans to “strive for honor ever more.” Okay.
The energy at last night’s @TexasTechMBB game was electric and helped our 7th-ranked Red Raiders remain unbeaten at home. A select number of our vocal fans did not uphold the behavior or language we expect from them. We ask all Red Raiders to strive for honor ever more.— Texas Tech Red Raiders (@TechAthletics) February 14, 2018
- Trae Young has been getting blasted on all sides during this college basketball season. For all the praise he’s received, he’s had to absorb an equal amount of heckling, boos, chants etc. in almost every opposing arena he’s been in. Is the media hype to blame for setting him up to face situations like these?
- The Oklahoma Sooners appeared to play a little harder on defense against Texas Tech, but that also led to several Sooners getting in serious foul trouble, including Trae Young. Going forward, the team is going to have to learn to balance aggressive defense with smart decision making.
- Oklahoma Baseball is returning to the diamond tomorrow, and here’s the opening pitching rotation. And for an extensive look at the team and the coaching staff, check out this season preview. Let’s get the Skip Johnson era started off right! Boomer!
Irvin. Wiles. Perez. Tyler.— Oklahoma Baseball (@OU_Baseball) February 14, 2018
The competition has its work cut out... pic.twitter.com/Ckv8z102Rq
- So how much have the stadium and facility upgrades impacted recruiting? Lincoln Riley believes the upgrades have certainly played a part, but it might not be as significant as you’d think.
- Four-star defensive back Max Williams says he has plans to visit Oklahoma this year. Whether he takes his official visit in the spring or in the fall has yet to be determined.
- Oklahoma will be hosting a number of recruits this weekend, including five star offensive tackle Kenyon Green and four-star wide receiver Trejan Bridges, who has been committed to the Sooners since last September.
Heading to OU this weekend ⭕️— BIG KEN ™ (@K_Green_01) February 15, 2018
- Make sure to check out RJ Young’s take on the rapper equivalents for each Big 12 head coach. I think they’re all great comparisons, but above all, Bill Snyder’s rapper equivalent is the most spot-on in my opinion. Nailed it.
Around the Sports World
- Mikaela Shiffrin took gold in women’s giant slalom. If it wasn’t before it sure is apparent now, but USA is really good at skiing and snowboarding. All five gold medals have come in either snowboarding or skiing events. U-S-A!
- USA women’s hockey lost to Canada 2-1 in a preliminary match. The game ultimately does not affect team USA’s standing, since they had already qualified for the semifinals.
- Arizona Cardinal and future first ballot hall of fame wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is returning for at least one more NFL season. Fitzgerald has always been one of my favorite players, so I’m excited to see him take the field one more go around.
- Lane Kiffin’s brother, Chris Kiffin, is leaving the Florida Atlantic coaching staff to become a pass rush specialist with the San Francisco 49ers.
- The NBA is still weird, but I’m here for it. Rocky the Denver Nuggets mascot gets caught making a move on another woman when his wife and child roll up. Also, I thought that was the big teddy bear, but I was so wrong.
Stick to Sports!
- Check out this sneak peek of Incredibles 2 that was released during the Olympic events yesterday. I can’t believe it’s been 14 years since the first movie was out. I can hardly wait any longer!
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!