Hey Sooner fans! Back at it again with the Hot Links, and Oklahoma’s very own Trae Young is on the latest cover of SLAM Magazine. The kid looks great representing his Oklahoma Sooners.
Started off slept on, now he's the greatest show in hoops.— SLAM Magazine (@SLAMonline) January 31, 2018
Oklahoma freshman phenom Trae Young covers SLAM 214: https://t.co/vnyKYG33FW pic.twitter.com/s9TwSWvQc3
What else can be said about Trae that hasn’t been said already? He’s the standard of excitement in today’s college basketball. Watch this super cool feature that goes behind the scenes of his SLAM photoshoot and interviews with Trae and his father, Rayford Young. I gotta get me one of those hoodies that his dad is wearing. So cool.
Future top-5 pick. Stephen Curry comparisons. Trae Young is the most exciting player in college hoops.— SLAM Magazine (@SLAMonline) January 31, 2018
For more on @TheTraeYoung: https://t.co/vnyKYG33FW pic.twitter.com/2JCD1P8YBo
And don’t forget to check out the accompanying Trae Young article from SLAM Magazine’s Franklyn Calle. Trae Mania is sweeping the nation, so soak it up while you can, Sooner fans. Now onto today’s edition of Hot Links. Find out what the football team is up to on Snapchat, why Baker Mayfield is way better than Josh Allen, how somebody stole a seven-foot unicycle and more!
- Trae Young is currently averaging just over 30 points per game. While it may be unheard of in today’s collegiate game, it reminds those who grew up watching college basketball of old of a time when it was not out of the ordinary for some players to average well over that mark.
- Lincoln Riley and the Oklahoma social media team is on top of things once again in this awesome version of ‘what are they up to?’
We really are up to something in Norman #OUDNA pic.twitter.com/s0Bk8Ja46A— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) January 31, 2018
- Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen? Not only are Baker’s numbers better here, he also played great defenses like Ohio State, TCU (twice), and Georgia, effectively lighting all of them up in some form or fashion.
Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield? pic.twitter.com/atvsWR07qs— PFF Draft (@PFF_College) January 31, 2018
- Also, be sure to check out RJ’s thoughts on National Signing Day. The final recruiting stretch of the class of 2018 is here, folks. Who are the remaining targets and what are the chances Oklahoma lands their signatures?
- Speaking of RJ, go ahead and subscribe to his YouTube channel. If you don’t subscribe to his channel, watch out for a mollywhopping from his mama!
#SuperBowl commercial: @TheMamaSavage speaks loudly and carries a big (purple) stick.— RJ Young (@RJ_Young) February 1, 2018
✅ Link to the #Sooners football channel ➡️ https://t.co/bdR24hpCeu pic.twitter.com/PlCGsFujdY
- Check out the second installation of Steven Parker’s journey towards the NFL. In this part, Parker talks about how he felt snubbed for being left out of All-Star games and for not being invited to the NFL Combine. Also, Parker has recently dealt with the flu, but remains positive through it all. Incredibly insightful stuff here.
- Texas native Deuce Nisbet has accepted a spot with the Oklahoma football team as a preferred walk-on. Nisbet plays inside linebacker and has solid measurables coming out of high school. Never count out a walk-on! Congratulations, Deuce, and good luck!
Very excited to announce that I will be continuing my education and football career as an invited walk-on at the University of Oklahoma! Thank you @OU_CoachKish for this amazing opportunity #BoomerSooner pic.twitter.com/g13F1lMJTe— Deuce Nisbet (@DeuceNisbet42) February 1, 2018
- I almost forgot how difficult/frustrating last season was on the hardwood. It appears Oklahoma is doing a much better job in close games this season. Now if the team can just figure out its road woes and play better defense...
OU in games decided by 6 points or less...— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) January 31, 2018
2017-18: 5-1 pic.twitter.com/DEuqvQKZOh
- Five Sooner softball players have been named as preseason player of the year watch-list candidates. This team is loaded once again, along with Patty Gasso, the best coach in the game.
- Ex-Sooner Will Sunderland has announced that he will be joining the Troy football team this coming season. Sunderland was dismissed by Oklahoma in 2017.
Proudly to say that I am committed to the university of @TroyTrojansFB !!! Excited to bring my talent there in win big games.. man lets get it #SLATTT #DBU— WiLL (@kp_projectt) January 31, 2018
- Speaking of Sooners finding new homes, it appears that former blue-chip recruit Ricky DeBerry is looking for one.
Our @CareyWWLS is reporting that Ricky DeBerry has been granted a release from #Sooners. Source also says no restrictions on his release.— SoonerScoop.com (@SoonerScoop) February 1, 2018
Around the Sports World
- Florida State Football is going big by throwing it back with this dope lineup they’ve assembled for the upcoming spring game.
More info— FSU Football (@FSUFootball) February 1, 2018
- @floridastate students are free
- Concert ft. @TheSaltNPepa, @vanillaice and @Robbasemusichttps://t.co/OOgnRIq3yE pic.twitter.com/0SAXzE6dJY
- Texas Tech’s Keenan Evans drilled this buzzer beater to defeat the Texas Longhorns in overtime. I don’t hate it!
Texas Tech survives in INCREDIBLE fashion.— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) February 1, 2018
Keenan Evans finishes with a career-high 38, including this game-winner: pic.twitter.com/ZpaKuosujw
- Former NBA player Rasual Butler and his wife, Leah LaBelle, both died in a single-car auto accident yesterday morning. Butler was a member of the Hornets teams that played in Oklahoma City from 2005-2007. He was 38 and had one daughter.
- So the Nevada Dental Association not only has declared UCF as national champs, they’ve apparently been doing this for years. Now I’ve heard everything. Also, this dental group calls the CFP a ‘cartel’. That might be a bold comparison, but alright. Also, Jack made a bad pun about it.
This argument has some teeth to it https://t.co/LDNeElgWUi— C&C Machine (@CCMachine) February 1, 2018
- Air Bud is real, everybody! If he could talk, I’m sure he’d say ‘Ball is life.’
Stick to Sports!
- Now this is just plain twisted. How could someone defy all morality and steal Red Panda’s seven-foot unicycle? Stuff like this diminishes my faith in humanity. Is there no justice left in this world? To quote Mike Gundy, “Where are we at in society today?”.
Someone took off with 7-foot 'Red Panda Acrobat' unicycle from SFO, $2,000 reward offered https://t.co/CFlOOFi9cB— KTVU (@KTVU) January 31, 2018
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!