Happy Friday, friends and fans!
We’ve made it to the eve of the Heisman Trophy Presentation, and the debate between Kyler Murray and Tua Tagovailoa shows no signs of cooling down any time soon. Fans of the Oklahoma Sooners and the Alabama Crimson Tide can both make strong cases for their guy.
Now it can be argued that Alabama’s own dominance has hurt Tagovailoa’s chances as much as anything else. That dominance virtually negated any opportunity for a potential “Heisman moment”, as CBS Sports’ Danny Kanell explains.
The best point Kanell makes here is that the one high-stakes moment Tagovailoa could have had ultimately backfired as his backup, Jalen Hurts, was the one to lead Alabama to a comeback victory in the SEC Championship instead. That took some major steam out of Tua’s case, but Kyler Murray’s consistent play in big moments also turned the tide in the race.
We’ll find out who will claim the 2018 Heisman Trophy tomorrow night, but one thing’s for sure, no matter who it is, the debate between which player is better/more deserving will continue on well after the announcement is made and the ceremony is over.
Now onto this week’s Friday edition of Hot Links! Kyler Murray could actually make more money in the NFL than in the MLB, K1 and Hollywood win a Herbie, the new ‘Avengers’ trailer is here and more!
- In case you missed it, Kyler Murray brought home the Davey O’Brien Award for the nation’s top QB last night at the Home Depot College Football Awards show. Boomer!
- Kyler Murray looks like he’s ready for a career as a sports analyst. My dude is so fresh and so clean.
- The two most talked about players of the 2018 college football season came together for the first time during the start of Awards Weekend. Some are saying this looks like an awkward embrace, but keep in mind that Tua is on a scooter.
- Kyler Murray was interviewed on the Rich Eisen Show where he spoke about the current state of his plans following the football season and where he was when he found out Oklahoma made the CFP.
- Murray has the love and support of his teammates in the locker room, but his teammates from the dugout are just as enthusiastic about the dual-sport phenom’s success on the football field.
- On another baseball-related note, Murray could actually make more money in football if drafted high enough (first round) considering he’s a QB, as is explained by Baseball America’s J.J. Cooper. Still, factors like the risk of injury and career longevity favor the guys on the diamond more so than on the gridiron.
- Murray and Marquise “Hollywood” Brown won Kirk Herbstreit’s Herbie Award for Best Tandem. They do make quite the combo.
Around the Sports World
- Seth Littrell has turned down the K-State gig, and the reported details of how it fell through have to have Wildcat fans pulling their hair out. If you know any K-State fans, keep them in your thoughts, as the names left on the board don’t hold a candle to this dude.
Source: Contract negotiations between Kansas State and top coaching target Seth Littrell fell through when Littrell wanted to clean house and bring his entire staff to Manhattan. K-State said no. pic.twitter.com/4xeetz2GwE— Tom Martin (@TomKCTV5) December 7, 2018
- This 99-yard touchdown run by Derrick Henry was absolutely disrespectful. Those men have families! In all seriousness, heck of an effort for the 2015 Heisman Trophy winner.
- The Liberty Flames have hired Hugh Freeze, the ex-Ole Miss head coach. Freeze was fired from being the Rebels’ lead man after a number of violations including using a university phone to call escort services.
- Georgia Tech has hired Temple’s Geoff Collins to be the Yellowjackets’ next head coach. Collins succeeded Matt Rhule in 2017, going 15-10 in two seasons with the Owls. He also has previous ties with GT, first as a GA from 99-01, then as the Director of Player Personnel in ‘06.
- SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey spoke about UCF taking issue with being left out of the College Football Playoff for a second season in a row despite going undefeated the last two campaigns. Sankey says the problem with the Knights is about them not scheduling out of conference in a way that could earn them more respect with the committee. I tend to agree.
- During Thursday night’s Home Depot College Football Awards, the Disney Spirit Award was presented to Purdue Superfan Tyler Trent. In case you missed the show, here’s his powerful story.
Stick to Sports!
- The moment millions of fans worldwide have been impatiently waiting for has finally arrived. Marvel Studios has released the first official trailer for “Avengers: Endgame”. Joe and Anthony Russo return to direct the epic conclusion to phase four of the MCU, and after this, the world will never be the same. Robert Downey Jr. as ‘Iron Man’ and Chris Evans as Captain America headline once again, and Josh Brolin will once again play the role of the mad Titan Thanos. The film release date has also officially been moved up from May to April of 2019, just as “Infinity War” was earlier this year. Alrighty, I don’t know about y’all, but I’m gonna go watch this trailer about eleventy-three times now. Catch ya later.
- When the cops ask you to pull over, just do it.
OHP ain’t nothing to mess with pic.twitter.com/PqqQrgpear— Brady Trantham (@BradyDoesSports) December 7, 2018
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!