Happy Hump Day, everybody!
The American Football Coaches Association has revealed its All-Americans. Consensus AA Ben Powers made the first team, while Marquise Brown, Kyler Murray and Dru Samia were each named AFCA second team All-Americans.
The offensive line has been a major story for the Oklahoma Sooners going back several years now. This season’s O-line unit is considered one of the most dominant groups in program history, and All-Americans like Powers, Samia and Cody Ford are big reasons why.
As for Murray, it’s a little unfortunate he wasn’t named to at least one more of the five major All-America teams, which would have resulted in Consensus All-American status, but knowing him, he’d much rather claim team honors like championships. Besides, he’s already the Heisman Trophy winner, and no other individual honor in sports can top that.
Now let’s get on with today’s Hot Links! A LOT of people watched the Heisman presentation, Baker Mayfield is within reach of an absolutely historic rookie season, Steph Curry is the next Kyrie Irving when it comes to tin foil hats and more!
- Oddsmakers expect the Orange Bowl CFP semifinal matchup between Oklahoma and Alabama to be one of the highest scoring games this bowl season, if not the highest.
- No surprise here. I suppose a lot of people were interested in this year’s Heisman Trophy presentation. Check out how positive the television ratings were compared to past presentations. Boomer!
The 2018 Heisman Trophy Presentation:— ESPN PR (@ESPNPR) December 11, 2018
✅ 2,928,000 viewers, up 33% year over year & best audience since ‘15
✅ More than 4 million watching when @TheKylerMurray was named the winner
✅ More than 6.5 million people sampled at that night
More: https://t.co/gkUN8JOv7c pic.twitter.com/mkV1WibaHV
- The Oakland A’s are as happy as anybody in Norman to see Kyler Murray succeed, but those front office guys will admit they cringe a little bit every time he takes off and runs the ball.
- This is a pretty cool way for Lincoln Riley and Oklahoma’s social media team to promote next season’s schedule in a way that appeals to 2019 recruits. That group is always thinking of creative ways to stay fresh and ahead of the Joneses.
- Baker Mayfield still has a chance to turn in one of the greatest seasons ever by a rookie QB. Check out what he needs to do over this final stretch to go down in NFL history.
- Oklahoma president Jim Gallogly seems to want nothing more than to get OU back on the plus side of the financial fence, and since he stepped into the role over the summer, his relationship with former president David Boren has reportedly dwindled into a war of words, mostly from JG’s side. For whatever it’s worth, Gallogly denies this.
In June, OU President James Gallogly told a senior OU administrator to deliver a message to Boren: “You tell him that I am the meanest son of a bitch he has ever seen, and if he ever crosses me again, I will destroy him.”https://t.co/dYu5EIcaDi— Norman Transcript (@NormanNews) December 11, 2018
Around the Sports World
- Check out the college football quotes of the year. Reading this was like a hilarious trip down memory lane. There are some absolute gems from coaches and players alike dating back to media days over the summer.
- Thunder center Steven Adams isn’t the modern big man, who frequently takes shots from deep and flies around the court. Instead, he’s a blast from the past, and he’s proving his old-school style still has a place in today’s NBA.
- San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich passed Pat Riley for fourth most wins all-time in NBA history. He should easily jump ahead of Jerry Sloan for third sometime this season. Congrats, Pop!
- Steph Curry seems to have either enrolled at the Kyrie Irving School of Conspiracy Theories, or he’s just trolling everybody when he says people have not been to the moon. C’mon, my guy.
okay now NASA has to send Kyrie Irving into outer space https://t.co/on3wwmwfLb— Rodger Sherman (@rodger) December 11, 2018
- Lakers guard Josh Hart knows a thing or two about Chipotle, the popular burrito franchise, and his not-so-hot take is that food from Chipotle tastes much better with one of their plastic forks than a metal utensil. Hey, he won’t get any argument from me.
Stick to Sports!
- “Pet-prenups” are a growing trend among married couples. Since many times custody of a pet is used as a sort of leverage during divorce processes, legally agreeing to terms before matrimony through a lawyer can help alleviate conflicts of this kind. Still, just like any standard prenuptial agreement, it has to be more than a little awkward and a definitely discomforting to sign such a contract. What if you really like their dog? Oh well.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!