How’s it going, everyone?
Less than 48 hours from now, the game we’ve all been waiting for will finally kick off. Oklahoma vs. Texas. Sooners vs. Longhorns. Horns down vs. Hook ‘em Horns. Speaking of which, one of the best Oklahoma Sooners to ever partake in this glorious dust-up shared his thoughts on what he expects from the 113th edition of OU-Texas.
Mayfield, Baker on the game taking place in Dallas, Texas this weekend: pic.twitter.com/SdlOIvJZfV— Kegan Reneau (@KeganReneau) October 3, 2018
You can take Baker Mayfield out of Oklahoma, but you can’t take that OUDNA out of the G.O.A.T. Also, if this game ends up anything like that 2012 game he mentioned, I’m quite certain Sooner Nation won’t stop partying well into the work week.
Now it’s time for some Hot Links! Oklahoma fans should actually cheer if Lee Corso picks Texas, Mel Kiper really, really likes what he’s seen from Kyler Murray, Nick Saban called out Tide students for their poor attendance and more!
- This is pure excellence. Inside the Washington Redskins HQ, there’s a mini Red River Shootout brewing. Tress Way, Adrian Peterson, Trent Williams and Samaje Perine have planted the OU flag in that elevator. That’s right, Colt McCoy. Take the stairs.
- Since ESPN’s College GameDay will be in Dallas for the OU-Texas game, there are sure to be some Sooner fans that boo Lee Corso, who infamously labeled Oklahoma as ‘pretenders’ last year. However, if he picks the Texas Longhorns to beat OU, recent history says that’s actually a good thing.
- Take Mel Kiper’s opinions with a grain of salt, but he seems to be pretty high on Kyler Murray.
Murray is one of the best dual-threat college quarterbacks I've ever seen. https://t.co/h8Xg8bvahg— Mel Kiper Jr. (@MelKiperESPN) October 3, 2018
- Linebackers Kenneth Murray and Curtis Bolton have combined for 85 tackles in the past two games, which is the most for a duo through two games since 2012. So how has their bond on the field evolved over the course of the season?
- The Longhorns have historically stepped up to the challenge when underdogs against Oklahoma, so if you’re not already prepared for a dog fight, prepare yourself for one.
- Now this is just one more reason why Oklahoma should win this game, right? RIGHT?
Since 2000, the Sooners are 7-2 against Texas when wearing their crimson jerseys. OU looks for win number 8 on Saturday. pic.twitter.com/IlFxbjcfvV— Sooner Tracker (@SoonerTracker) October 3, 2018
- Don’t forget to check out Allen Kenney’s breakdown of the matchup between Texas’ tall wideouts and Oklahoma’s secondary. The Sooners have had trouble containing some of the bigger receivers they’ve faced this season, and the Longhorns have two legitimate threats in Collin Johnson and Lil’Jordan Humphrey.
Around the Sports World
- Texas Tech starting QB Alan Bowman has been released from the hospital and is rejoining team activities today after suffering a collapsed lung last Saturday. The Red Raiders are off this weekend with a BYE, and their next game is next Thursday against TCU.
Good news out of Texas Tech, where Alan Bowman was released from the hospital this afternoon and will rejoin team activities tomorrow: pic.twitter.com/mJQxJHaBQt— Matt Fortuna (@Matt_Fortuna) October 4, 2018
- Alabama hosted Louisiana-Lafayette last Saturday, and the attendance in the student section left a lot to be desired. Nick Saban put the students on blast for not showing out to support the team, and also the fans who left early.
- It’s okay, Brian Kelly, most people didn’t even know Duke and Northwestern played last week, much less who actually won the game. Happens to the best of us.
- The Kansas City Chiefs are undefeated and have looked quite stellar through the first quarter of the regular season. Not only that, but the trio of Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt could be the foundation for a potential dynasty. Lofty expectations, but every dynasty has to start somewhere. Also, Jack says he’s over the moon about all of this, but he’s not looking forward to the November matchup between Mahomes and Mayfield. I guess he’ll have to root for both offenses.
- Here we go! After the New York Yankees defeated the Oakland A’s in the AL Wild Card game, it’s just about time for the rivalry of rivalries in baseball, as the Boston Red Sox await the pinstripe boys in the ALDS.
- Hey, he’s a man of his word. He said he’d do the ‘One Chip Challenge’ if Oklahoma rushed for 200+ yards against TCU last season, and of course that happened. Enjoy.
Stick to Sports!
- It’s been 30+ years in the making, but Top Gun: Maverick is finally fully cast and nearly ready for production. Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer will reprise their roles as ‘Maverick’ and ‘Ice Man’, respectively, and Miles Teller will be playing the son of ‘Goose’. Other notable stars include Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm and Ed Harris (who is also known in Oklahoma for being an OU alum). The film’s release date has been delayed for various reasons, one of which was finalizing the cast, but with this now out of the way, expectations for a release date should be within the summer of 2020.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!