Happy Monday, friends and fans! Welcome to October. Welcome to Texas Hate Week.
Before we become too enveloped in the spirit of this glorious week, we have eyes to watch. After getting through the first month of the season unscathed in the win/loss column, Lincoln Riley gave the faithful fans of the Oklahoma Sooners something else to cheer about on Sunday afternoon.
— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) September 30, 2018
It was another big recruiting weekend at the Palace on the Prairie, and with Oklahoma rolling with their Rough Rider alternate uniforms, plus the rout over Baylor, moods were high and the buzz must have made quite an impression on at least one uncommitted prospect. So who will it be? I guess you’ll just have to stick around to find out.
Now on to more Hot Links! Kyler Murray has the second-best odds to win the Heisman, Alondes Williams commits to the Sooners, radio callers are posterizing Mike Gundy and more!
- If you look closely, you’ll notice a hidden message somewhere in this image that only fans of the Oklahoma Sooners will pick up on. In all seriousness, to whoever spent the time to stack these boxes of soda: your dedication to your artistic vision will be commemorated for generations to come.
You had ONE job Mr. Pepsi Man……………………— OUfan580 #BeatTexas (Bad) (@OUFan580) September 30, 2018
……………and you NAILED IT - TexASS sucks pic.twitter.com/le28ijb6WH
- Kyler Murray was named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for the third time this season. Congratulations once again, K-1!
- Oklahoma is about a touchdown favorite over Texas this year, and with how close this game has been the last few seasons (and really historically), I’d say that’s the margin I’d be least surprised to see at the final whistle. Let’s go!
- Kyler Murray currently has the second-best odds to win the Heisman according to Bovada. Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa has been playing lights out as well, so it’ll be a fun race between those two.
Kyler Murray moves up to No. 2 in the Heisman Trophy odds according to Bovada— Eric Bailey (@EricBaileyTW) October 1, 2018
Tagovailoa (Alabama) 10/11
Murray (#Sooners) 7/2
Haskins (Ohio State) 15/4
Grier (West Virginia) 11/2
OU also sixth-best national championship odds (20/1, up from 22/1)
- With so many players on the Sooners’ roster being from the state of Texas, it’s no wonder why this week brings out that extra something on the field. No matter where they’re from, they’re Sooners now, and it’s almost that time to remind the Longhorns of what they’re missing out on.
- Players and coaches alike are ready for this game. It’s always a big game when it’s against Texas, but when Texas and Oklahoma are both ranked with everything left to play for, the national relevance of this rivalry takes on new heights.
- Caleb Kelly needs your vote to be named Lott Impact Player of the Week! For a guy who hasn’t been starting, and really hasn’t been on the field very much, it was nice to see him make the most of his reps. I’d say two sacks and a forced fumble is not too shabby for a day’s work.
- Which Sooners are officially off redshirt watch after appearing in their fifth game of the season against Baylor?
- For your daily dose of perspective, Lincoln Riley isn’t afraid to take a moment to enjoy winning ball games. We’re one game away from being halfway through the regular season, folks. It goes by quick, so enjoy it while it’s here.
- In the weekly College Football Empires tracker, Oklahoma now has dominion over seven territories, ranking them tied for third place. Notre Dame currently leads the nation in that regard with 13 territories. Beating Texas and ending its four-game winning streak this Saturday would give the Sooners a much larger footprint, so watch out, world.
- Looks like Sterling Shepard and his New York Giants buddy Odell Beckham Jr. are doing the ‘rock, paper, scissors’ touchdown celebration we’ve seen Kyler Murry and Marquise Brown do this season. I love it.
- Bedlam Soccer was in Norman on Sunday, and the Sooners rallied to defeat the 12th ranked Cowgirls 2-1 in exciting fashion. Way to go, ladies!
- Oklahoma Basketball continues its hot streak on the recruiting trail with 2019 JUCO wing Alondes Williams announcing his commitment to Lon Kruger and the Sooners.
- Once again, the Sooners and the Special Spectators had a blast over the weekend. These kids are often battling through some of the most unimaginable circumstances, and to see how much Oklahoma Football lifts their spirits warms my heart.
Around the Sports World
- In ESPN’s latest Power Five Conference rankings, the Big 12 comes in at third, just behind the SEC and the Big Ten. The winner of the Big 12 will likely have a strong case for the College Football Playoff as an undefeated or one-loss team.
- Mike Gundy took a lot of heat (and justifiably so) last week for threatening to ban reporters from speaking with players for the rest of the season if they asked about Jalen McCleskey’s transfer announcement. Now people are sneakily letting him have it during the Big 12 Teleconference, and his confused responses are gold. One of the pranksters even identified himself as Trey Anastasio. which is the name of the guitarist/vocalist from Phish.
- Here’s a written transcript of the questions and Gundy’s answers.
Had some "fraudulent calls" during Mike Gundy's time today. His response: "That is ok we have a lot of fraudulent people in this world." pic.twitter.com/smqyZmETWT— Riley Gates (@Riley_Gates) October 1, 2018
- Texas Tech QB Alan Bowman was taken out of the game against West Virginia on Saturday due to what has now been determined a collapsed lung. It is unclear when he could make a return to the field, but the prognosis is positive.
- The Kansas City Chiefs are lighting up the NFL behind Patrick Mahomes’ cannon of an arm. So how did KC become such an offensive powerhouse? Bill Connelly breaks it down in true Connelly fashion — with super-detailed data points and extensive research.
- Coming into the 2018 college football season, some teams were expected to win a bunch of games, while others weren’t expected to do much of anything. Which teams have surprised on both ends of the spectrum through five weeks?
- LeBron James is in a new place surrounded by new faces, but his game remains the same. This no-look pass towards the baseline is just stupid.
Stick to Sports!
- Rockstar Games’ ‘Red Dead Redemption 2’ is bringing back everything gamers loved about the first installment of the franchise and expanding upon them. An enhanced ‘dead eye’ system and an increased number of visual modes makes for a more immersive and cinematic experience. Check this out for a rundown of some of the more notable features, including actual gameplay footage. RDR 2 launches on PS4 and Xbox One October 26th.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!