After a full day of processing the end of football season for the Oklahoma Sooners, it’s time for all of us to invest our sports-watching energy into Trae Young and the OU men’s basketball team. Lon Kruger has perhaps his best team yet, and they’ve already accomplished some remarkable things. If you’ve been waiting until after football season to go full basketball mode, then you’re in for a treat tonight. What better way to get into the complete swing of things than with Bedlam in Norman?
The Sooners look to avenge last season’s abysmal record one conference opponent at a time. After taking down the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday to open Big 12 play, it’s time to begin the 2018 edition of the Bedlam rivalry.
For today’s round of Hot Links, check out which football players might forgo their remaining eligibility to go pro, how Trae Young is breaking the NCAA machine and blowing all of our minds, why one publication is touting UCF as national champions and more!
- There are a limited number of tickets still available, so act quickly and you could see the Trae Young show in person!
A LIMITED amount of returned reserved tickets are available for tonight's Bedlam game. On sale at 10 a.m. Better act fast.— Oklahoma Basketball (@OU_MBBall) January 3, 2018
- Will Orlando Brown go pro? What about Mark Andrews, or Rodney Anderson? Any of these players could forgo the rest of their eligibility to take their chance at the next level, but none of them have made their decisions official as of yet.
- If you’re still catching yourself up on college basketball in Sooner Land, check out these three things you must know about Oklahoma’s hoops squad.
- This article is basically everything I feel regarding Trae Young’s amazingness.
Trae Young Has Broken the NCAA machine. #Soonershttps://t.co/gXvMCukLJu— OUHoops (@ouhoops) January 3, 2018
- Last season the Cowboys swept the Sooners on the hardwood. Guys like Kameron McGusty still have a bad taste in their mouths after all this time, and tonight is the first step towards returning the favor.
- Trae Young’s former Norman North high school teammate Lindy Waters III plays for the Oklahoma State Cowboys. Waters doesn’t lead the Cowboys in any major statistical category like points, rebounds or assists, but the guard has logged the most minutes of anybody on the team. It’ll be interesting to see how Young and Waters perform when facing each other tonight.
- Is Young the best college point guard since Steph Curry? The comparisons are striking, but it’s been well-warranted with how consistent Young has been.
- Baker Mayfield stayed in LA to catch the Clippers/Grizzlies game and got to meet Blake Griffin and Mike Conley. I like Mike Conley. He seems like a good dude.
Great season bro. Keep doin your thing pic.twitter.com/kOUULd26Tz— Mike Conley (@mconley11) January 3, 2018
- Yep, our man Baker is living his best life. He deserves every bit of it, too.
- There’s no other way around all the ‘what ifs’ we’re about to hear this offseason and beyond. Yeah, rush defense was the back-breaker. Make the necessary changes and move forward.
If Oklahoma had even a top 30-35 defense (rather than a top 65 defense), do they win the title this year? They dropped more than twice as many yards and almost 3.5 times as many points on Georgia’s defense than the average, but hard to win giving up 13 yards per carry— Chris B. Brown (@smartfootball) January 3, 2018
All have/had some excellent skill, but none of the other offenses in the playoff (or Ohio State) were/are particularly scary this year. Things were really set up well for Oklahoma if they could have had slightly better STs and stayed in gaps and gotten some guys on the ground— Chris B. Brown (@smartfootball) January 3, 2018
- OU is poised to join the ranks of the blue-chip recruiting club with the signing classes the Sooners have brought in over the last couple years. I am optimistic about the future.
- So very cool. Yes, he is a star.
Baker Mayfield deserves a star on the walk of fame, so I made that happen! @baker_mayfield6 pic.twitter.com/x27gug8poT— Bay (@bayleebennett8) January 2, 2018
Around the Sports World
- Rich Rodriguez is out as Arizona’s head coach after he’s been accused of sexual misconduct.
- The Prince George Journal has declared the undefeated Central Florida Knights as national champions. Yeah, this is why there’s a playoff.
- Oh, and UCF also is throwing a parade and hanging a banner, but I don’t have a problem with this because they are champions. I won’t consider them national champs, though. That part of this whole thing is very aggie of them.
- Skills, people.
When you're on your morning commute but soccer is still life— SB Nation (@SBNation) January 3, 2018
: @LivCookefs pic.twitter.com/GyVbrYHEQ7
- Ever wondered what NFL players do right after the season ends? Wonder no more!
- Texas Tech gave Kansas its worst home defeat under Bill Self last night. The Red Raiders are — along with the Sooners and others — a legitimate threat to the Jayhawks in the conference race this season. It could become interesting if KU gets itself in too big of a hole before the depth is finally shored up with the additions of Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa.
- And yes, this is the ultimate advantage.
He does have a point... @Whataburger @CoachBeardTTU pic.twitter.com/eO7tGGytrD— Chase Shannon (@chase_shannon) January 3, 2018
- Isaiah Thomas looked like the IT of old in his debut, which is a very good thing for the Cleveland Cavaliers and a very scary thing for the rest of the Eastern Conference.
- LaVar Ball is NOT the founder of the NBA. I repeat, LaVar Ball is NOT the founder of the NBA. Ugh, c’mon Google.
Congrats @Lavarbigballer pic.twitter.com/hXxEPjA1uD— SB Nation (@SBNation) January 3, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- There is a definite difference between the two words, and this guy just paid the price. I don’t know why but I’m a glutton for game show fails.
Let Nick’s mistake be a lesson to us all. In 2018, you gotta keep it gangsta at all times. Never Gangster #Jeopardy pic.twitter.com/NMO7QsAfyI— Roy Wood Jr- Ex Jedi (@roywoodjr) January 2, 2018
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!