Hello once again, friends and fans! Last week wasn’t the best week for the Oklahoma Sooners on the hardwood. The men’s basketball team fell to both K-State and Oklahoma State on the road, and the women’s basketball team also lost in Bedlam. The only way to brush off the losses and move forward is to get back in the gym and get back to work. But I’m here to tell you, if there is a bright spot beyond this feeling, it might be David Bartell.
Now, if you don’t immediately recognize David Bartell’s name, chances are you’ve either seen him or heard about him before, especially if you’ve been to an OU basketball game this season. Bartell is a total superfan who has become known for removing his shirt in-game and letting all those around him bask in his confidence.
"I want him at every game sitting in the front, with no shirt on. We gon' get live. That's what we expect from Mr. David.”@David_Bartell95 has become the face, and body, of the #Sooners' student section: https://t.co/BNcmr8KgLC pic.twitter.com/nFeYqzNfQz— OU Daily Sports (@OUDailySports) January 22, 2018
Do you, David. Do you.
Now for today’s edition of Hot Links, a couple Sooners are headed to Super Bowl LII, Baker Mayfield’s agent once represented Steve Owens, Eagles fans predictably lost their minds and more!
- Looks like another former Oklahoma Sooner will be a part of a Super Bowl-winning team. Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson and New England Patriots defensive end Geneo Grissom’s collegiate careers at Oklahoma overlapped from 2010 to 2012. Congratulations to both of you guys for making it to the biggest event in American sports!
#SuperBowl #Sooners— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) January 22, 2018
& Geneo Grissom! #OUDNA#SBLII Sunday, Feb. 4 at 5:30 p.m.
➡️ https://t.co/jP2ZNzN1Du pic.twitter.com/3Hk6YnrzIt
- And Johnson had this to say about the guy his team will be facing in a couple weeks:
The Eagles are coming for Tom Brady's crown. pic.twitter.com/mZuDrdbSgM— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 22, 2018
- If the Denver Broncos decide to draft a quarterback with the 5th overall pick, it could come down to Baker Mayfield and Wyoming’s Josh Allen. Check out this rundown of each prospect and how Denver will presumably approach this selection process from Mile High Report’s Scotty Payne.
- With the Senior Bowl around the corner, some changes are being made to mock drafts everywhere. Check out where Baker Mayfield, Orlando Brown, and Mark Andrews stand in Dan Kadar’s latest mock NFL Draft.
- After Steve Owens won the Heisman Trophy in 1969, he chose Jack Mills to represent him as his agent. Nearly 50 years later, Oklahoma’s latest Heisman winner, Baker Mayfield, is being represented by the same Jack Mills. That’s pretty incredible, but Mills is an OU grad and is no stranger to representing former Sooners.
- So what is life like as a preferred walk-on at a school like Oklahoma? It requires inner-toughness, unwavering determination, and belief in one’s own ability.
Around the Sports World
- The latest college football season was full of great games across the nation, but there were also some games that were more than awful for various reasons. Take a look at the 12 worst games of the 2017 college football season.
- Alabama QB Jalen Hurts held true to his word and cut his dreadlocks following the Crimson Tide’s CFP National Championship. Looking fresh, man.
The Deal Was If We Won The Natty, The Locs Had To Come Off lol. New Look . Same Mission . Grind Hard And Improve Everyday ! #AllGlory2God pic.twitter.com/w2uEKJLA9L— Jalen Hurts (@JalenHurts) January 21, 2018
- So Eagles fans celebrated like they just won the Super Bowl, and it was about as riotous as you could imagine. This is absurd, but I love it.
- Long time San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker has been benched for second year player Dejounte Murray. Could this spell the beginning of the end for Parker in the NBA? Probably not. This sounds like some sort of Greg Popovich mind trick.
- This Tom Brady cartoon is hilarious and a classic troll job from the future Hall of Fame signal caller himself. I actually surmised that the reason they have bowl haircuts is because they’re going to the Super Bowl. Yes, I’m so proud of myself.
Stick to Sports!
- With over 120 million views, the teaser trailer for Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War has broken viewing records and is on pace to smash the all-time record for most views for a movie trailer. I know I’ve watched it at least 12 million times, so I’ll accept responsibility for the rapid inflation of the numbers.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!