So the Rose Bowl Game didn’t go the way the Oklahoma Sooners would have wanted it to, and now it’s officially the offseason. If I take a step back from the low-feeling at the end of the game, I can see that it was a great season overall. I feel for the guys who all played their final games as Sooners. I’m sure this will be a tough pill to swallow for those young men, especially Baker Mayfield. No. 6 has suited up for the Crimson & Cream for the final time.
Thank you for all the memories. pic.twitter.com/tIicQ8P1k5— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) January 2, 2018
Mayfield also took to Twitter to thank Sooner fans everywhere for their love and support. Heck of an effort, and hell of a ride, my dude:
Thank you Sooner Nation. Thank you for giving me never ending support. I hope you know I gave it everything I had. It has been and unbelievable ride and I'm so glad we enjoyed it together. I love y'all. God Bless and Boomer. -Bake— Baker Mayfield (@baker_mayfield6) January 2, 2018
Several other players also took to social media to express their gratitude:
To Sooner Nation... thank you for the best four years of my life. Not the way I wanted to end my career but I will be forever grateful. There is no better feeling than putting on that Sooner uniform. -Meech out ✊ pic.twitter.com/AFX4ZdpY8e— Dimitri Flowers (@treeflowers36) January 2, 2018
Had the best 4 years of my life here in Norman! I hate that it ended sooner then expected, but I am blessed to bleed that Crimson N’ Cream! Went out with a bang! Thank you God for everything! Nothing is possible without you and my family who supports me with Love Thank you Sooner Nation it’s been a blast✌ #Boomer
I want to thank sooner nation for sticking with us this whole year. We will be back next year ‼️‼️ #BoomerSooner— Hollywood Brown (@Primetime_jet) January 2, 2018
For today’s Hot Links, Brad Pitt was in attendance cheering on the Sooners at the Rose Bowl, Lincoln Riley’s play calling was questionable down the stretch, and an all-SEC national championship is happening once again.
- Brad Pitt, a Shawnee, Oklahoma native, was in the building last night. Pretty cool, I guess.
Well here. Brad Pitt rootin’ on #Oklahoma #RoseBowl #CFBPlayoff pic.twitter.com/SQYDRoxizn— Liz Habib (@LizHabib) January 2, 2018
- The Baker Mayfield era officially ended last night. In a strange way, I think this game won’t be so hard to look back on down the road. Rocky Balboa didn’t always win, and look at his legacy. I know, I know, it’s a movie character, but Mayfield might be some day as well.
- Mike Stoops, the man who will rightfully be blamed for last night’s loss, was unavailable for questions after the game. However, defensive leaders Ogbo Okoronkwo and Steven Parker spoke about the struggles on defense. Tackling was a major issue, as well as positioning.
- Speaking of Mike Stoops, he’s been catching plenty of hell on Twitter.
Tackling has been a problem for the Oklahoma defense pretty much ever since Mike Stoops came back in 2012.— Jason Kersey (@jasonkersey) January 2, 2018
Please raise your hand if you have ever felt personally victimized by Mike Stoops— Evan Rabb (@EvanRabb) January 2, 2018
Things I would rather do instead of watching an all SEC championship game:— Will Fossett (@whatthefossett) January 2, 2018
1. Pull a tooth
2. Go back to school early
3. Watch Seibert’s blocked kick on repeat
4. Publicly state support for Mike Stoops
5. Literally die
6. Metaphorically die
7. Cheer for OkSt
8. Cry more
Mike Stoops cost the best player in OU history a shot at the national title. Shouldn’t be allowed back in Norman— Bill Johnston (@BJohnston15) January 2, 2018
Oklahoma remains one of the worst tackling teams I’ve ever seen. Mike Stoops has to go.— Aaron Leming (@AaronLemingNFL) January 2, 2018
- Lincoln Riley is a great coach. Sure, he made some mistakes, but everybody shoulders some fault in a close game like that one. It’s worth remembering that nobody outside this program believed he would have this much success this early on. The future is bright. Now his first season is over, and the rest of his head coaching career carries on.
- Yes, we will be back. Sooner rather than later, we will return.
An unforgettable year...love this team and staff...we’ll be back-— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) January 2, 2018
- So the season is over, but there will be plenty of time to reflect on the amazing accomplishments from this incredible team. For now, it’s best to just let everybody move on in their own way. Those guys were warriors on the field, and gave it everything they had. Their emotion after the game was a testament to that.
- Check out the moments that mattered from the game last night. There’s a little bit of everything, from a highlights and lowlights standpoint.
- Now that the dust has settled a bit, what are some things we learned from the game, and what’s next for the Sooners heading into the 2018 season?
- Cornerbacks Tre Brown and Tre Norwood are two players that are poised to have break-out seasons in 2018, says ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg.
- College football gained at least one new fan last night after the Rose Bowl. You’re welcome, I guess.
Around the Sports World
- I did, and I can’t stop laughing.
Look up “NBA Founder” on Google right now. Dont even ask why just do it— big fish (@LuukeWarm) January 2, 2018
- Apparently Alabama beat Clemson pretty badly following the Rose Bowl. Hooray, another all-SEC title game. Yawn.
- Check out this post for updates on all the coaching and GM changes in the NFL. The league is going to look drastically different next season.
- USC’s Chimezie Metu was suspended for this low-blow cheap-shot, and he was also forced to write an apology letter. That’s good justice.
Happy new year from USC's Chimezie Metu pic.twitter.com/sEOAkpqmAa— Patrick Moore (@PatrickWEHT) January 1, 2018
- Houston Rockets guard James Harden has been ruled out for two weeks with a hamstring injury. The Rockets better play this smart because they probably have the best shot at knocking off the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference.
- Former Boston Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas will make his Cleveland Cavalier debut tonight against the Portland Trailblazers. Thomas has been recovering from a hip injury he sustained last April.
- This is great stuff. Just watch.
TFW you tell your dad that you’ve made the US Olympic Team #TeamUSA pic.twitter.com/ASoOYYXS4Z— Milwaukee Admirals (@mkeadmirals) January 1, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- I’ve heard of this happening before. Being a twin myself, this would be very cool and I’d never get tired of coming up with immature jokes about it. Twins for the win!
Maria Flores gave birth to twins born in different years. Her son Joaquín was born two minutes before the #NewYear, and daughter Aitana was born 16 minutes into 2018 at #DelanoRegionalMedicalCenter. #NewYearsTwins pic.twitter.com/yDFqzJ06Uk— KGET News (@KGETnews) January 1, 2018
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!