How’s it going, everyone? I hope the work/school week has been treating you well. Like most places around the country, it’s quite cold out here in Oklahoma, but it’ll never be too cold for Hot Links! Speaking of something hot, check out this hot take as far as the NFL draft goes.
Highly respected Steve Palazzolo from Pro Football Focus has assembled his latest mock NFL draft, and not only does he see three Oklahoma Sooners being selected in the first round, he projects Baker Mayfield to be drafted first overall. Now, normally I would be totally ecstatic about a projection like that, but just knowing that the Cleveland Browns are picking first sobers me up before I can get to that point. In any case, if there’s a QB out there that can resurrect the Browns organization, it’s gotta be Baker Mayfield, right?
Speaking of Mayfield, he just won another award, this time the Manning Award, which is a QB award that takes bowl performances into account. He’s also won the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Award, the Davey O’Brien Award and the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award and was named AP, Sporting News and Walter Camp Player of the Year. Not a bad haul! Also, he’s still up for the Lombardi Award.
Mayfield awards count:— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) January 18, 2018
@baker_mayfield6 named Manning Award winner Thursday as the nation's best QB including postseason performance. #OUDNA
➡️ https://t.co/Pg2bQE10kE pic.twitter.com/7s8IWyUmjP
As far as the rest of the Hot Links go, today you can read about potential hires (and those that aren’t happening), Gabbi Ortiz shooting the lights out and more!
- The K-State comeback and the Bedlam shootout made Bill Connelly’s 3rd installment in his list of top 100 games of the 2017 college football season. Stay tuned for the top 10 games of the season tomorrow!
- How perfect, a video game featuring Trae Young, and in throwback fashion. Man, this stuff takes me back.
.@OU_MBBall freshman Trae Young out here getting video game numbers: over 500 points in 17 games (via @CBBonFOX) pic.twitter.com/27hKZDA765— FOX Sports (@FOXSports) January 17, 2018
- Trae Young’s biggest source of support comes from his father, Rayford Young. Knowing that, the struggles from Tuesday night won’t last because of Trae’s quality work ethic and the infinite support he has from his family.
- Could Garrett Riley, Lincoln’s younger brother who is currently at Kansas, actually join Oklahoma’s staff as the 10th assistant? There is speculation that such a move could take place.
- Tom and Jack Mills being based in Colorado would certainly make things even more interesting if the Broncos are seriously considering Baker Mayfield. I just hope Baker continues to surround himself with all the right people (seems to be doing this here), because he certainly has the football tools to succeed.
Former Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield has signed with Tom and Jack Mills of Capital Sports Advisors to represent him, the Colorado-based agency confirmed in an email. https://t.co/EhRnO7bwXb— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) January 17, 2018
- After the Sooners struggled in their loss to K-State, it’s time to get back to the drawing board. Check out these three things that will help Oklahoma get back in the win column.
- Christian James had a rough season a year ago, but after making a commitment to his preparation, as well as a jersey number change, James is starting to look like much improved as a player.
- Kyler Murray was the first player to participate in both the football and baseball versions of the Under Armour All-America games coming out of high school. Today, Murray still plays both sports, and he has the full support of his two head coaches, Skip Johnson and Lincoln Riley.
- Don’t forget to check out RJ’s insightful thoughts about new strength coach Bennie Wylie, the prospects of Roy ‘Superman’ Williams coaching at OU, and Joe Castiglione’s opportunity as a CFP committee member.
- And just when I started to think about Williams (hypothetically) coaching up some Sooners, he makes a little announcement. Either way, I can’t wait to see what he may have in store for the future of the program!
Let me go head & put this to rest, I am not joining the coaching staff. I love my school and I would do anything for the team. But I have bigger plans in sight for the University. . https://t.co/nybS2T1xm2— roy williams (@roywilliams31) January 18, 2018
- Gabbi Ortiz is known for her ability to shoot the basketball, but even the best shooters of all time need to be able to see the basket in order to make a shot. And if you were wondering, yes, she made it!
Talk about lights-out shooting. pic.twitter.com/X5Yk3gyHZe— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 18, 2018
Around the Sports World
- Texas Tech honored Andrew Jones, the Texas Longhorns guard who was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Class move by the Red Raiders.
Stay strong, Andrew. Keep fighting. pic.twitter.com/sRdJZqZ77j— Texas Tech Basketball (@TexasTechMBB) January 18, 2018
- Texas A&M’s Ol’ Sarge and TCU’s Horned Frog were the two most horrifying mascots from the old Southwest Conference, but which Southwest mascot from the ‘80s makes you keep the lights on when you sleep at night?
- I feel like there aren’t many mishaps that can top this as far as cringe-factor goes. This hurts just to even watch. And apparently, Kris Dunn’s teeth left a mark on the actual court itself!
A scary moment for Kris Dunn. pic.twitter.com/XCcrEqrq8r— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 18, 2018
- Florida Atlantic’s Jason Driskel is calling it a career. This is significant because it makes winning the starting QB job a little easier for ex-Sooner quarterback Chris Robison. The storylines heading into that game are going to be ridiculous, and if Robison is starting against the Sooners on opening weekend, prepare yourself for some more quality banter. Can’t wait.
- The Mad Hatter himself discovers the novelty of the fidget spinner, and I’m so here for his reaction. Great stuff, but this needs to be the last time we see one of these things.
.@coachlesmiles discovers the fidget spinner. #LesIsMore pic.twitter.com/htvbyNyhv0— The Players' Tribune (@PlayersTribune) January 18, 2018
Stick to Sports!
- Check out this pic of Oklahoma City’s streetcars in the Pennsylvania snow. These streetcars have been a long time coming for OKC, and are a huge step towards bringing the downtown area into the forefront of the modern age. Also, I’m definitely a fan of the redbud theme. You’re doing fine, Oklahoma!
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!