Well whaddaya know... Sam Bradford is hurt again. The former Oklahoma Sooners quarterback, after playing the game of his NFL career in Week 1, was forced to sit out this past weekend with a knee bruise. The Vikings then predictably lost to the Steelers in Pittsburgh.
Elsewhere, a few other former Sooners enjoyed better luck in Week 2.
- As the Miami Dolphins began their 2017 season with a 19-17 road win over the Los Angeles Chargers, deep-threat wide receiver Kenny Stills opened his season with a trip to the end zone. Although Stills caught just two passes for 37 yards on the afternoon, one of those receptions was a touchdown on a 29-yard toss from Jay Cutler.
- Jordan Phillips also added a tackle in the win.
- Gerald McCoy began his weather-delayed season with one tackle and an assisted tackle for loss in the Buccaneers win over the Bears.
- Washington rookie Samaje Perine got a hefty share of carries in a 27-20 win over the Los Angeles Rams as starter Rob Kelley went out with an injury. Optimus Perine barreled his way for 67 yards on 21 rushes on the afternoon.
- Fellow rookie Joe Mixon fared a bit differently, gaining 36 yards on nine carries and adding a catch for another five, as the Bengals suffered a second-straight ugly loss — this time to the Texans last Thursday night. Hopefully, the change at offensive coordinator gives Joe a few more touches and a better chance for success.
- Adrian Peterson didn’t enjoy Week 2 any better after a frustrating season opener in Minnesota, as the former Viking carried the ball eight times for 26 yards in the Saints loss to the Pats.
- Former NFL leading rusher DeMarco Murray continued his slump to start the season, finishing with a paltry 25 yards on nine carries and one reception for another three before exiting with an apparent hamstring injury, in a Titans win over Jacksonville. Aaron Colvin registered three tackles for the Jaguars.
- Tony Jefferson recorded four tackles including one for loss as his Ravens moved to 2-0 in a win against the Browns.
- Charles Tapper recorded one tackle in the Cowboys blowout loss to the Broncos. Corey Nelson added 1 tackle on the other side.
- James Winchester (LS - Chiefs) got on the stat sheet against the Eagles with one tackle and a huge forced fumble delivered on a special teams hit to Darren Sproles.
- Eagles starting left tackle Lane Johnson also recovered a fumble on the afternoon.
- And finally, Sterling Shepard was in action on Monday Night Football and caught two balls for 23 yards against the Lions.
These Sooners also saw action for their respective teams this weekend:
Dominique Alexander (LB - Browns), Blake Bell (TE - Vikings), Jordan Evans (LB - Bengals), James Hanna (TE - Cowboys), Stacy McGee (DE - Washington), Aaron Ripkowski (FB - Packers), Donald Stephenson (Broncos), *Tress Way (P - Washington), *Trent Williams (LT - Washington), *Daryl Williams (RG - Panthers), Damien Williams (RB - Dolphins)
The following Sooners were inactive or did not play in Week 2:
Devante Bond (LB - Buccaneers), Jermaine Gresham (TE - Cardinals), Landry Jones (QB - Steelers), David King (DE - Titans), Dede Westbrook (WR - Jaguars, IR)