Happy Sunday, Sooner Nation!
We don’t usually start these things off with bad news, but we’re making an exception today. In case you hadn’t heard already, Oklahoma Sooners linebacker target and recent ChampU BBQ attendee DaShaun White committed to Texas A&M early Sunday afternoon.
This was an extremely close battle that OU seemed to be winning following the BBQ, but according to Brandon Drumm of TFB, this one went in the wrong direction shortly before his announcement.
That one was #OU last night. Woke up and White changed his mind. It was back and forth for days. Filmed 2 videos because he was so torn.— Brandon Drumm (@BrandonTFB) August 6, 2017
Anyway, I think it’s safe to say that there isn’t a ton of finality in this decision. Recruiting battles are never really over, and that’s especially true this season when it comes to Texas A&M commits. Kevin Sumlin has to have a great year in order to keep his job, and if he doesn’t, a lot of guys will be looking elsewhere. It’s safe to say that Tim Kish isn’t going to give up just yet, and nor should he.
- There were plenty of good quotes and nuggets from yesterday’s Media Day festivities, but I don’t think anything was better than Jeff Badet’s revelation that he didn’t know Baker was returning to OU until shortly before his commitment.
- Lincoln Riley was asked about redshirts yesterday, and it seems like his policy is similar to what Stoops had in place over the past several years.
- Nik Bonitto, a four-star defensive end from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Ft. Lauderdale, has included Oklahoma in his top 7. Alabama and Louisville seem to be the primary contenders, but the Sooners could help themselves if they could to get him to Norman for an official visit.
- During yesterday’s presser, Riley revealed that Jeffery Mead razzed him into upgrading his car following his promotion. Mead had this to say later on:
Fave quote from today:— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) August 5, 2017
Jeff Mead on Riley’s old 4-Runner
“I don't want to see my boss getting in the same car a girl I’d date would drive.”
- OU has a rule in place that you have to be 14 or under in order to get autographs at Meet the Sooners Day. Alabama has no such policy.
- Baylor’s football ops guy may have won the battle against this tackling machine, but he definitely lost the war.
- The bad blood between Louisville and Wake Forest continues. This time it involves Lamar Jackson.
- If you’re anything like me, you love you some 2K action. Here’s everything you need to know about NBA 2K18.
- LaDainian Tomlinson stole the show last night at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in Canton with this amazing speech:
“STICK TO SPORTS”
- The rise in craft breweries has led to a problem that no one had really considered — the competition for naming rights that has led to many a lawsuit. Well, it appears that there’s now a solution.
- So apparently a Karate Kid revival entitled Kobra Kai starring Ralph Maccio and William Zabka is happening, but the catch is that it’s a 10-episode YouTube comedy series. I’m still on board with it.