We’re days away from the Sooners’ opener against UTEP, and i’d be lying if I said I wasn’t counting down the hours to kickoff.
While we’re prepping ourselves for Saturday, Lincoln Riley is prepping his team for Saturday as well. Yesterday he announced the redshirt list for this upcoming season - and the list shows no true surprises. It includes:
OL Adrian Ealy
OL Tyrese Robinson
OL Marquis Hayes
LB Levi Draper (shoulder injury)
RB Kennedy Brooks (shoulder injury)
QB Austin Kendall
DE/LB K'Jakyre Daley
DT Zacchaeus McKinney
DT Troy James
Lincoln Riley also mention that Creed Humphrey could possibly redshirt, as well.
Here’s the Tuesday edition of Hot Links!
While Hurricane Harvey might not have hit the University of Oklahoma, it is still making an impact on campus. Oklahoma Sooners defensive star Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, a Houston native, is one of the thousands effected by the storm as well as many others who attend the university. Okoronkwo and other players as well as members of the coaching staff have been able to make contact with their families despite the effect of Harvey.
- Sophomore Austin Kendall was supposed to be the next heir to the quarterback throne in Norman, but that’s changed since Kyler Murray entered the fold. You can read Jack Shields’ article here.
- Former Sooners’ lineman Gabe Ikard and the Cleveland Browns have parted ways. It was his second stint with Cleveland.
- Dede Westbrook is expected to start on Thursday after suffering a sports hernia injury. The former Oklahoma standout will see some immediate action this season with the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- We all know the history of Art Briles at Baylor, but the former Baylor head coach may have just lost his best chance for a job. Props to the CFL for doing the right thing here.
- SB Nation’s Cyrus Smith wrote up a story on perhaps one of the biggest upsets in sports history - the Michigan Wolverines versus the Appalachian State Mountaineers in 2007. You can read it here.
- Ever wonder how the Alabama Crimson Tide would fare against teams from the non-power five conferences (or FBS)? Matt Brown breaks down the team and how they would play against Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide.
- In perhaps one of the biggest season openers in recent memory, Bill Connelly explains how the Alabama versus Florida State game will come down to who has the better passing game - and he may be right.
- Jim Harbaugh is one of the most magic personalities in college football - and he’s going to have a podcast for the football season. What a guy.
‘Stick To Sports!’
- If you’re on Twitter as much as me then you already would have seen this, but a man on a jet-ski rescued a grandmother from her home during the Houston flood. Yes, this is as awesome as it sounds.
- With so much happening in Houston, and so many of us feeling useless - you can be helpful no matter where you’re located. SB Nation has made a list of places where you can donate to help disaster relief. Every cent counts.