Preseason AP Top 25
1. Alabama (52)
2. Ohio St (3)
3. Florida St (4)
4. USC (2)
6. Penn St
10. Oklahoma St.
20. Kansas State
21. Virginia Tech
22. West Virginia
24. Washington State
A few thoughts:
- With five offensive linemen and a Heisman finalist at QB returning for the Sooners, I would probably put them at fourth or fifth. The defense probably isn’t quite good enough to win a championship (give it another year or two), but I think they have as good a chance as anyone to earn a spot in the playoff.
- I have zero issue whatsoever with putting Bama at No. 1. When you recruit like they do year in and year out, you get the benefit of the doubt. Let’s also not forget how dominant they were until the championship game last season. They really haven’t really lost that much from that team, so they’re the safest pick this season.
- The Big 12 will be better in 2017, but I’m just not quite sold on OSU being a top-10 team. I do think they’re the second-best team in the league. However, the offensive line and defense have some serious question marks. Mason Rudolph, Justice Hill and the receivers are elite, but I’m just not sure how much help they’ll get from the rest of the squad.
- I think TCU is a pretty notable snub in a lot of the preseason polls. I think they’re probably third or fourth in the Big 12 pecking order this season. Kenny Hill can make plays, they’re good at the skill positions, and the defense will be better than average.
- I think Miami is a school that can potentially crack the top 10 in 2017. They’ll be breaking in a new QB, but they play in a weak division that is ripe for the taking. The latter has been the case plenty of times in years past, but this isn’t the Miami of Randy Shannon and Al Golden.
- I don’t see a single loss on USF’s football schedule, and I think they’ll definitely be higher than 19 by season’s end. Expect them to make an appearance in a New Year’s Six bowl.
Are the Sooners underrated, overrated or fairly rated by the media in 2017?
This poll is closed