Happy Monday, Sooner fans!
This Monday is a hell of a lot less mundane than most. Why? Because football season kind of starts today for the Oklahoma Sooners!
There are plenty of guys with quite a bit to gain and quite a bit to lose during fall camp. The safety position opposite Steven parker is up for grabs, the team is slowly transitioning to a four-man front, and skill-position players are looking to separate themselves from the pack. Plenty of stuff will go down in the coming weeks, and we can;t wait to talk about it. Hopefully it’ll be mostly positive!
- Look. At. This. Cake.
- Former Ou center Ty Darlington, who is stand-up dude and was a damn good football player for the Sooners, is now on the staff in a quality control position. As bright as he is, I think it’s safe to say he’s qualified for the gig.
- Lincoln Riley seems to have the whole recruiting thing down pat, but he’s figuring things out in other areas. Right now, the young head coach is learning how to delegate.
- Yesterday, Carey Murdock reported that OU kicker-punter Austin Seibert did not report to camp. Fortunately, he’s expected to join the team soon.
- Former OU (and Texas A&M) quarterback Trevor Knight is currently participating in training camp with the Arizona Cardinals. The likelihood of him making the 53-man roster is slim, but he could easily find a home on the practice squad.
- For those of you who like to go to Vegas, you may be interested to discover that the Wynn has a new-and-improved sports book. I think I could live in this place, quite honestly.
- Here’s how the bowls will look this season if the conference media polls were to end end being 100% accurate. They won’t, but this is fun to look at nonetheless.
- Here’s a list of unrated or underrated recruits in the 2018 class. Maybe OU will have interest in some of these players at some point down the road.
- Adrian Beltre of the Texas Rangers got his 3,000th career hit on Sunday, becoming the 31st MLB player in history to reach the mark. No disrespect to Beltre, but I had no clue that he was anywhere close to this milestone.
- Apparently Shaq wrote a diss track about LaVar Ball. I’m in favor of any and all LaVar Ball disses, but I’d prefer that we just stop giving him attention. And yes, I’m fully aware that I’m giving him attention right now. Whatever.
“STICK TO SPORTS”
- Here’s a pretty good recap of last evening’s Game of Thrones episode from The Verge. Spoiler alert, obviously.
- I’m not a huge Avett Brothers fan (I think we’re all past the whole pop-folk thing if we were ever on board to begin with), but this Soundgarden cover from Newport Folk Festival is pretty cool.