Happy Friday, Sooner nation! Bob Stoops announced his retirement on Wednesday, and it still feels like we’re in the middle of something between a wake and a celebration after. I predict that the uneasy feeling will not go away any time soon for fans of the Oklahoma Sooners.
This edition of Hot Links is (almost entirely) dedicated to the man himself.
Without further ado, a Bob Stoops-packed edition of Hot Links:
- Sooner Sports has whipped up a video chronicling Bob Stoops’ life and career. I’m not crying, you’re crying:
- Stoops is getting love from across the country. His pal and mentor Bill Snyder even said he’d be nominating him for the CFB hall of fame:
Statement from Bill Snyder on Bob Stoops. Snyder says he will nominate Stoops for the College Football Hall of Fame: pic.twitter.com/AqS8wpzcIT— Jake Trotter (@Jake_Trotter) June 8, 2017
- Take a look at some of the other tributes Bob has gotten on Twitter:
- We probably won’t ever see Stoops coach again. Broadcasting, on the other hand...
- AD weighs in on the big news:
- Stoops was the master of fake disrespect. Rock M Nation, our sister Mizzou blog, chronicles a pretty hilarious story of how Stoops tried to motivate his team — even if the motivation was sourced inauthentically.
- I wrote about how Stoops’ retirement seems like a cross between a wake and a celebration. Football Scoop pens a touching eulogy to Big Game Bob.
- It’s not Thursday, but we’re throwing it back anyway:
- I feel bad for Patty Gasso and her newly-minted champion softball squad. Although there’s never a good time to announce a retirement, a day or two in the limelight would have been nice. That didn’t stop them from celebrating, though:
- There had been rumblings about receiver Dahu Green transferring, but now, according to multiple reports, it’s official. He’s nowhere to be found on OU’s roster.
- CBS’s Tom Fornelli writes that even a floundering Texas is still the best job in the Big 12.
- Could five Michael Jordans beat the Golden State Warriors? Thanks to the magic of NBA 2K17, we can know. Well, kind of.
- Draymond Green made two phone calls after the Warriors lost Game 7 last season. I’m sure you can guess who one of them was to.
- Sidney Crosby used PK Subban’s face to dab a stain off of the ice in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals last night.
‘Stick to sports!’
- Today I learned that Indiana is a magical place that is full of wonders:
People in Indy are either too trusting or too kind. Chick-fil-A leaving out the premium sauces. pic.twitter.com/FCwTgItMN1— Jake Reuse (@ReuseRecruiting) June 9, 2017
- A new Big Thief album is out today! I’m a big fan of this band and I think they’re going places.