Get used to hearing Rocky Top again, Sooner fans.
The University of Oklahoma and the University of Tennessee have announced another home-and-home series between the two schools. Tennessee will travel to Norman in 2020, and Oklahoma will make a return trip to Knoxville in 2024.
I. AM. ECSTATIC.
The Sooners and Volunteers played a home-and-home series in 2014 and 2015, and OU came away victorious both times. The win in Norman was fun, but the real memories were made in Knoxville.
I made the trip to Knoxville in 2015, and it may have been my greatest experience as a sports fan. The fans were incredibly hospitable in the lead-up to the game, and they weren’t douchebags after their loss. Oh, and the game was pretty fun.
The only negative memory was created by an overzealous security guy at Neyland Stadium who decided to confiscate all of our mini bottles of Fireball. Like, he came to our seats, patted us down and took them. Not cool, Vols. Not cool.
Some other notes on future schedules:
- The LSU series is still listed a TBA. WE’VE ONLY BEEN WAITING ON AN ANNOUNCEMENT FOR 13 YEARS!!!!
- The 2018-19 UCLA series is something that intrigues me greatly. I’ve never been to a game at the Rose Bowl, but I’ve obviously heard good things. Jim Mora may be gone by then (especially for the second one), so who knows what we’ll be going up against?
- As most of you are aware, we’re renewing our series with Nebraska in 2021-22 and again in 2029-2030. I don’t think I even need to explain why I’m pumped for that.
- The Sooners will face Temple at Lincoln Financial Field in 2025 (if it’s still called that by then). When’s the last time OU played a football game in the Northeast? Syracuse in 1994?
- The Sooners will play at West Point in 2020, which will certainly create a pretty unique environment. Army doesn’t host top-flight programs often.
- Part of me hopes that OU ends up scheduled in one of those preseason kickoff games in Dallas, Houston or Atlanta. I know we’ve had bad experiences with those games, but our luck has to turn eventually, right? I’m hoping for one in the new Las Vegas stadium in, say, 2023?
- Will Harbaugh and his khakis still be at Michigan in 2025 and 2026? I kind of hope so...