The 2017 NFL Draft is upon us, and while there won’t be any Sooners in Philadelphia this evening, there’s definitely a chance one might hear his name called.
Forget the bad Kevin Costner movies and the never-ending hype. The NFL Draft is a life-changing moment for young men who get to make a living playing the game they love, and that’s reason enough to tune in. We all wish it could be like 2010 again, with Sooners dominating the draft boards. But Oklahoma has consistently produced stars, and this year’s class should be no exception.
Round 1 starts tonight at 7 p.m. on ESPN.
- ICYMI, last week C&C Machine broke down every potential OU draftee. You can read about Samaje Perine, Dede Westbrook, Charles Walker, Jordan Evans and Joe Mixon here, including projections and highlights.
- Our own Jack Shields posted our NFL Draft live thread earlier today, featuring a complete Round 1 order plus viewing and streaming info.
- Last night I broke down the possible reasons behind, and ramifications of, OU’s recent recruiting meltdown.
- Oklahoma hasn’t beat UT at much lately, but the men’s tennis team did notch a win for the good side of the Red River this morning in the Big 12 Tournament.
- If no Sooner goes tonight, that would be the fourth straight year without a first-round pick for OU. Not exactly a selling point.
- The Dallas Morning News gives all its Sooners draft predictions here.
Most NFL Draft Picks ALL-TIME:— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) April 27, 2017
Full Top 25: pic.twitter.com/IoXHJygGIC
- Apparently the Browns might really, actually take Mitch Trubisky with the No. 1 overall pick. Really.
- And Deshaun Watson says there will be “consequences” if that happens.
- I found some free final mocks for you to disagree with, including Matt Miller’s, NFL.com’s, Pete Prisco’s, Peter Schrager’s and Dan Kadar’s.
- Here’s a Deadspin interview with a gentleman who, for some reason, has watched every round of the NFL Draft since 1999.
- Robert Mays explains why finding this year’s Dak Prescott is such a hard task — which is why, after all, the Cowboys have Prescott and the Jets took Christian Hackenberg two rounds before him.
‘STICK TO SPORTS!’
- The second “Guarians of the Galaxy” is out soon, meaning it’s almost time for summer movie season. Here’s a preview of the most explosion-packed time of the year which, apparently, now starts right in the middle of springtime.
- Apple is about to make its own home assistant speaker system using a very familiar voice: iPhone’s Siri. As a guy with an Amazon Echo, I like Alexa — but not so much that I wouldn’t replace her if Apple’s is better which, let’s be real, it usually is.