Good afternoon, Sooner nation! Although OU basketball fans received news yesterday that guard Darrion Strong-Moore is seeking a transfer, that was overshadowed by a player that hasn’t even stepped foot on campus — well, in a figurative sense.
Trae Young played in the McDonald’s All-American Game last night, scoring nine points, adding five assists and four boards to his tally. In this game, though, it’s not just about stat totals. It’s about showing off your craft.
And crafty it was for Trae. This fake (which he’s done before) is absolutely hilarious. I have to admit that it even got me the first time I watched:
Then there was this shot from the logo near the scorer’s table, which was reminiscent of a certain unanimous MVP who lives in the Bay Area.
The Trae Young/Steph Curry comparisons are just starting. I mean, look at this. His confidence is supreme:
Trae could torment defenses the way Buddy Hield did with his shooting ability. We know Kruger is willing to give him the leash to do it, provided that Young proves he can hit them with consistency.
- You’ll be able to see future teammates Young and Brady Manek play together in the Oklahoma Coach’s Association game on July 27th in Tulsa.
- Mike Stoops had hinted at switching to a four-man front late last season, and it’s finally coming to fruition. Blatant Homerism’s Allen Kenney takes a dive into what worked and what didn’t for the 3-4 front Stoops has employed since 2013. His conclusion is definitely worth reading.
- Caleb Kelly will, barring any kind of setback, maintain his position as the linebacker opposite Obo Okoronkwo despite the new four-man front. This deep dive (complete with diagrams!) analyzes how Kelly’s skillset can best be taken advantage of and how his weaknesses can be minimized considering this new defensive philosophy.
- Vote for OU’s Spring Game field design here! Today is the last day to vote. Just keep in mind that the state design is objectively the best one.
- If you’re living under a rock (or just haven’t logged into twitter in the last 12ish hours), you haven’t heard about Russell Westbrook’s legendary performance last night. Catch my recap and watch the full highlights at The Franchise’s website. Believe me — it was hard to formulate words after that mind-boggling game.
- Zito Madu writes a piece laying out what Thunder fans already knew: there’s only one true MVP.
- Unfortunately for the Thunder, it seems as if the Dayton Flyers have hired Thunder assistant and Dayton alum Anthony Grant for their head coaching job:
- Because I am a huge sucker for these kinds of things: your 2017 NFL draft All-Name team.
- Baseball begins THIS SUNDAY! Check out SB Nation’s awesome 2017 season preview for all of the reasons why the Cubs will repeat this year.
‘STICK TO SPORTS!’
- Luc Besson’s Valerian (director of The Fifth Element) looks like it could be incredible. At the very least, it’s visually appealing:
- My boy Bob Dylan finally wised up and accepted his Nobel Prize for literature. The catch? If he doesn’t give a lecture (whether in person or on tape), he forfeits the prize money.