Sherri Coale’s Sooners were able to put together quite a performance in Seattle, topping 11-seeded Gonzaga by a score of 75-62 to advance to the second round of the NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament.
- The Sooners hit six of eight three-point attempts in the 1st quarter and ended up sinking 10 total on Saturday. The hot start allowed the Sooners to jump out to an early 29-16 lead.
- After holding 13-point leads after each of the first two periods, Gonzaga was able to dwindle the OU lead down to five in the fourth quarter. However, the Sooners were able to pull away late with some clutch shooting from Peyton Little and Co.
- The Sooners won convincingly despite being out-rebounded 44-35 and turning the ball over 17 times. OU made up for it with great free-throw shooting (19-21) and efficient outside shooting (43.5% from deep).
- Vionise Pierre-St. Louis nearly recorded a triple-double with 17 points, nine rebounds and NINE BLOCKS!
- Peyton Little finished the game wit 18 points — 12 of which came in the 1st quarter — and also added five assists. Her early three-pointers allowed OU to build a big early lead.
- Maddie Manning added 10 points and nine rebounds and was one of four Sooners to reach double-figures on Saturday.
The Sooners will face the winner of tonight’s game between Washington and Montana State, and the second-round match-up will tip off on Monday. The winner of that game will advance to the Oklahoma City Regional, which would obviously be of special significance to the Sooners. Let’s hope it happens!