Good afternoon! Football is now done until the fall, but the Super Bowl was one hell of a sendoff. I imagine that Patriots and Falcons fans are about equally hungover, albeit for entirely different reasons.
Whether you’re braving work or just staying home like hundreds of thousands of other Americans today, enjoy some links to work through:
- In case you missed it, check out the impact that former Sooners had on the Super Bowl. Congrats to Geneo Grissom on the ring!
- Speaking of Geneo: Berry Tramel wrote a piece on Grissom’s assimilation into the ‘Patriot way.’
- The Tulsa World’s Guerin Emig seems pretty sure that Trae Young will in fact make Norman his home next season. For Kruger’s sake, I hope Guerin’s right!
- We never really stop thinking about recruiting. Get a handle on what the 2018 and 2019 classes could look like for the Sooners.
- Don’t look now, but Kansas has the no. 9 ranked recruiting class for 2018 at this early stage. Not for basketball — for football. Head coach David Beatty has done a phenomenal poaching talent from Louisiana. Like SB Nation’s Richard Johnson says, early rankings are part of ‘feeding the beast,’ as we put it in the news media, and aren’t always indicative of the final product. Still, pretty remarkable stuff.
- Did Julian Edelman make the greatest catch in NFL history? Zito Madu seems to think so.
- The remarkable Jon Bois (of Breaking Madden fame) created a harrowing video game called ‘Bill Belichick Offseason Simulator.’ Trust me. This is worth your time:
- Shooting guard J.R. Smith of the reigning champions the Cleveland Cavaliers was hit with some tough news when his daughter was born five months premature. In today’s awwww moment, check out JR getting to hold her for the first time. I can’t imagine how great that must feel, and I wish the best to the Smith family in the future.
‘STICK TO SPORTS!’
- If you (somehow) missed the halftime performance of the Super Bowl, it’s worth a watch. Hell, Gaga is worth another watch even if you did see it:
- A Florida man (big shocker, I know) pled guilty on charges of making false statements to the federal government after attempting to pay back a debt by using a router number that wasn’t his to make $7 billion in transactions. The kicker? He did it because ‘Jesus Christ created wealth for everyone.’ You can’t make this stuff up.
- The new Pirates of the Caribbean trailer debuted during the Super Bowl last night, and it looks pretty great! Jack Sparrow makes his return at the end of the trailer: