Happy Thursday, Sooner fans! Yesterday was pretty uneventful for OU as far as recruiting was concerned, but that’s a good thing. We weren’t going to get Marvin Wilson, and missing out on Tyler Taylor is a hell of a lot better than losing a prized commit at the 11th hour (which nearly happened, apparently). OU’s 27-man class was locked up before 8:20 AM without a Robert Meachem situation, so it was definitely a good day at the office for Bob Stoops and his staff.
- Yesterday, Graham Dudley posted about OU’s move to a four-man front. He also covered all of the other topics from Stoops’ presser, including a bunch of his quotes about the 2017 class.
- Dede Westbrook recently ran into Oklahoma WR signee Charleston Rambo at a shopping mall, and Dede gave the young guy some advice. According to Rambo, he’ll also be wearing Dede’s old number at OU.
- After Oklahoma’s class was complete, Cody Stavenhagen of the Tulsa World revealed Tre Brown’s near flip to the Gators earlier that morning. Here’s his full article on Tre Brown’s decision.
- Tyrese Robinson was committed to Oklahoma for quite some time, but he definitely got plenty of attention form other schools. The Oklahoman’s Ryan Aber tells his story.
- Berry Tramel discusses the uphill battle against the SEC for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
- Brady Vandeman of the Dallas Morning News gives OU a B+ for its recruiting class.
- For those of you who are interested in marching bands, the Pride of Oklahoma has elected its first female drum major.
- Here’s a bizarre story from yesterday that kind of involves OU:
In conjunction with Bleacher Report, four-star RB Cordarrian Richardson sent a weather balloon up in the sky to reveal his commitment to Maryland. You may notice in the video that one of the schools in the running is none other than OKLAHOMA! Of course, OU’s 2017 running back recruiting ended after the commitment of Kennedy Brooks back in October, so Oklahoma wasn’t an actual option. It seems as if that was also the case with Maryland, as Richardson ended up signing with UCF on Thursday.
- Remember James Robinson? You know, WR prospect who had his offer pulled by all of the big schools. As it turns out, the University of Florida did another 180 and let him sign with the Gators. I’m happy that things worked out for him, and I hope he stays out of trouble.
- Richard Johnson of SB Nation provides a few quick facts about the top 15 classes.
- Four-star defensive end Jarez Parks committed to Alabama with a video on Wednesday, but it turns out they’re going to make him grayshirt so that they won’t have to consider him a scholarship player in 2017. He’s going to stick with the Tide and enroll as a full-time student next spring, but I’m not sure I wouldn’t just pick another school in that situation.
- Check out the SB Nation’s College Football Recruiting Podcast with Bud Elliott and Richard Johnson!
“Stick to sports!”
- The University of Illinois and Brown University collaborated to make a new type of drone that flies like a bat. If you’d like to fly a drone and scare the hell out of your friends at the same time, you may be in luck.
- Lineups have been announced for some of this summer’s music festivals, including Sloss (Birmingham, Ala,), Forecastle (Louisville, Ky.) and Jazz Fest (New Orleans, La.). If you need an excuse for a trip to New Orleans, Jazz Fest is a good one. I went there in 2015 to see Sturgill Simpson and Widespread Panic, and it was an absolute blast.