Hello once again, everybody! The Oklahoma Sooners are 27 days away from lining up against the Georgia Bulldogs in the Rose Bowl, and the days could not go by fast enough. In some rather exciting news, Baker Mayfield, Orlando Brown and Mark Andrews made SB Nation’s 2017 All-America Team! A couple others, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Erick Wren, were named to the second team and honorable mention list, respectively. You may also recognize a familiar name on the list of voters.
In today’s edition of Hot Links, Lincoln Riley is a Coach of the Year candidate, Baker Mayfield doesn’t win the Burlsworth, and Jason White’s wardrobe from 2003 makes us cringe!
- Lincoln Riley has been named one of eight finalists for the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award. Riley is not only the youngest coach in the FBS, he is also in his first year of being a head coach, which makes this all the more impressive. What is perhaps most impressive about his year thus far is the fact that he has already defeated some of the more prominent coaches in the country head-to-head.
- As expected, looks like many of the OU coaches are hitting the recruiting trail. Defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks is “bouncing around” in style with this sweet new lid:
- Baker Mayfield was a finalist for the Burlsworth Trophy, which is awarded to the most outstanding player who started their career as a walk-on, but was narrowly beat out by Washington State quarterback Luke Falk. Mayfield was looking to win the award for a third straight year, but I doubt he’s losing too much sleep over this.
- Looking back on the list of goals Baker Mayfield wrote next to his locker before the season started, it’s amazing how every single one of them has practically been met already. Well, there is one that has yet to be reached, but Atlanta is only one game away. Stay consistent, Sooners.
- Looks like UCF has found its man. Josh Heupel is finally a head coach! Congratulations, and Boomer Sooner!
- This look hasn’t aged as well as Jason would have hoped, but he’s still the man:
- The depth on this Sooner basketball team will become much more impressive later this month, although it’ll be a bit later than the Sooners originally expected.
Lon Kruger says Kristian Doolittle will be cleared to rejoin the Sooners on December 16th.— Toby Rowland (@TRowOU) December 5, 2017
Also FYI, the #Sooners planned on having Kristian Doolittle back Dec. 9, but the NCAA doesn't consider the semester over until finals. He'll return Dec. 16.— Jadyn Watson-Fisher (@jwatsonfisher) December 5, 2017
- This is what it’s all about. I love the OKC Thunder’s tradition of giving back all year long, especially during the holiday season.
- This whole Herm Edwards hiring at Arizona State is just strange on so many levels. Check out this list of six of the more perplexing happenings from his introductory press conference on Monday.
- It seems like the general consensus of the Edwards hire is that it’s a terrible one, but SB Nation’s Bill Connelly attempts to play Sun Devil’s advocate and state why it’s a good hire. Well, at least he gave it the old college try.
- Georgia defensive coordinator Mel Tucker is scheduled to meet with Tennessee officials for a second time in regards to the Vols’ head coaching vacancy.
- Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh and Michigan State’s Mark Dantonio have been throwing some shade at one another this postseason, and I’m here for that. Once again, I’m going to have to highlight this game on my calendar next season. This is some great in-state rivalry stuff.
- Thomas the Tank Engine is taking off in a new stunt video that has the world buzzing. The decision to include this story in the sports section was a tough one, but after seeing Thomas’ impressive athleticism, I had no other choice. I remember reading all the Thomas and Friends books and watching the television series as a kid, so you know this is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen.
- Um.. is that Tom Izzo?
Tom Izzo had the time of his life on Judge Mathis pic.twitter.com/bEDbJYaL9u— SB Nation (@SBNation) December 5, 2017
Stick to Sports!
- The status of two species of kiwi birds have moved up from endangered to vulnerable, which is fantastic news. Lots of credit goes to New Zealand’s conservation efforts for improving the outlook of these kiwis.
- Once thought to be lost, a Christmas album by legendary musician Paul McCartney has resurfaced on YouTube. Check out the early and exclusive Christmas miracle for yourself!
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!