Hey, friends and fans! If you’re anything like me, you’ve been impatiently waiting for Monday to get here. Meanwhile, just a couple time zones to the west, the Oklahoma Sooners have been enjoying some fun in the sun. Now I’m not entirely sure what’s happening here, but Ogbo looked slightly terrified for a second there. But hey, when in Rome, or in this case Disneyland:
No matter what was going through his mind at the time, I know deep down he’s having a blast, as is the rest of the team. These guys deserve it, too. All work and no play takes all the fun out of the game, so live it up, fellas! Of course, only after doing your Georgia homework.
For today’s edition of Hot Links, Baker Mayfield was unavailable for press conferences because he was sick, this is only the second time in Ogbo Okoronkwo’s life that he has been on a thrill ride, Tom Herman mocks Drew Lock and more!
- 2018 signee Darrell Simpson has been selected for the US Army All-American Bowl, which will be played on Jan. 6 in San Antonio. The Justin (TX) Northwest product is listed as a four-star prospect and the No. 14 OT in the country according to the 247Composite Rankings. Here’s what Austin had to say about his signing last week.
With the last selection for the 2018 #ArmyBowl, the committee selects OL Darrell Simpson @king_simpson34 pic.twitter.com/B22Elu9hCx— Erik Richards (@ErikRichardsUSA) December 28, 2017
- Baker Mayfield was unable to join his teammates for the Disneyland festivities because of an illness. Lincoln Riley said he’s fine, and there’s no reason to doubt that. Monday is also four days from now. Nothing to see here. Absolute worst-case scenario: Baker Mayfield has a “Flu Game” like Michael Jordan.
- Speaking of great basketball players, it’s not to late to purchase this Trae Young-insired shirt from BreakingT. These are high quality shirts that can be used to remind your friends that the best player in college basketball lives in Norman, OK.
- I honestly can’t wait to check out all the different coverages for this game. Last season it was great to watch the Sugar Bowl from the SEC Network’s perspective. Those guys absolutely hated it.
Good news: OU Radio will be part of ESPN’s MegaCast for the Rose Bowl. A stream w/Sooner Radio broadcast synced up w/Live video will be carried on https://t.co/GfnpTbpF7q & the ESPN app.— Toby Rowland (@TRowOU) December 27, 2017
Not as good news: fans won’t be able to listen to OU Radio on TuneIn app nor in-stadium.
- Lincoln Riley and Kirby Smart have many things in common. One of the most telling similarities between them is their attention and involvement in recruiting. Now they have a chance to really see each other up-close as they prepare for the Rose Bowl.
- Even though Riley is much younger than everybody on his coaching staff, the assistants all have a lot of respect for the young leader. Check out what Ruffin McNeill, Mike Stoops and others have to say about Lincoln.
- Former OU punter Tress Way (sort of) invented a fart-themed card game. Read about it here.
- Good stuff, here. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has been my favorite movie in the Avengers arc so far, so you can bet I think this mash-up between Sooners and Guardians is dope. Also, Ogbo and the guys seem very relaxed, which should bode well for Monday.
Oklahoma’s (@OU_Football) Ogbonnia Okoronkwo said the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride was fun and had him out of his seat. Fun fact: it was also only the second ride Okoronkwo’s ever been on in his life. pic.twitter.com/7WHYcLnYc7— Megan Moureaux (@meganlmoureaux) December 28, 2017
- Speaking of Okoronkwo, before he played football, his sights were set on becoming a pharmacist. Also, it took him a year before he finally let his parents know he was playing for his high school in Houston. After some tough times, Ogbo is a team captain who’s clicking on all cylinders.
- There was a power outage at Disneyland during the Rose Bowl teams’ press conference yesterday. Too much Sooner magic. Must’ve blew a fuse.
- Ehh, he’s a freshman. Freshmen tend to not know things.
No matter what your question is, Jake Fromm doesn’t know pic.twitter.com/6v7yI7uKSx— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) December 28, 2017
- Despite all fun surrounding the Rose Bowl, the Sooners are focused on being fully prepared for the Georgia Bulldogs.
- Steven Parker admits that the defense’s pride took a hit after the high-scoring Bedlam game. That reminds me of last year after the Texas Tech game. Hopefully this post-season goes much like last season’s as well.
- In case you missed it, check out renowned Sooner YouTuber and all-around cool guy RJ Young’s thoughts from right here on Crimson & Cream Machine!
Around the Sports World
- During the latter stages of the Texas Bowl last night, Try-Hard Tom was seen openly mocking Missouri quarterback Drew Lock’s touchdown celebration. Of course, Missouri didn’t take too well to that at the time. However, Drew Look seemed to take it in stride later on.
Here is Texas coach, Tom Herman and QB Sam Ehlinger mocking Drew Lock's touchdown celebration from earlier in the game. Absolute trash. pic.twitter.com/slE3uDJYhS— Missouri Sports (@MizzouSports1) December 28, 2017
- On the set of Texas GameDay, Ricky Williams made a hilarious slip:
Ricky Williams wanted to be the "high guy" pic.twitter.com/DQqIZpmjky— Saturday Down South (@SDS) December 28, 2017
- Is Deion ‘Primetime’ Sanders about to join the Florida State coaching staff? Sanders sure isn’t shying away from nor is he shutting down the possibilities.
- In other coaching news, Matt Canada, the country’s highest paid offensive coordinator, does not appear likely to return after one season at LSU.
- At least Russell got the last laugh, since pretty much right after this happened the Thunder went into a new gear and never looked back.
Don't grab at the ball when Russell Westbrook has it, Jonas— Def Pen Hoops (@DefPenHoops) December 28, 2017
(via @clippittv) pic.twitter.com/AwtUvfly3m
- Hey, sometimes coffee is just way too hot:
Mike Leach cooling off his hot coffee while Mark Dantonio answers a question during the Holiday Bowl press conference is the best Mike Leach moment ever. pic.twitter.com/jN6QyuUhDS— Sam Adams (@SWXSamAdams) December 27, 2017
- So veteran actress Laura Dern and former NBA player Baron Davis are apparently an item now. From all reports and PDA-filled snapshots, it’s very true. I’m oddly interested to see where this goes.
- Even his name is hype:
DePaul freshman Pantelis Xidias majors in BENCH HYPE pic.twitter.com/bs3dC9gX45— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) December 28, 2017
Stick to Sports!
- Dang, now I wish I would have started something like this way back when. Very cool.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!