It’s game day in Norman, friends and fans! Tonight, the Oklahoma Sooners host a formidable Northwestern Wildcats squad from the Big Ten Conference in what should be another exciting contest on the hardwood. Coach Lon Kruger has one of his best teams yet, and Trae Young may very well launch himself even further into the forefront of national college basketball discussions.
For today’s Hot Links, you’ll find out how Oklahoma’s defense stacks up against Georgia’s offense, why Baker Mayfield is the top draft-eligible prospect in the CFP, where Joel Klatt ranks OU football going into 2018 and more!
- Connor McGinnis and the special teams boys are back at it again with the shorts and the shades. And on a more serious note, Connor, winner of the Mortell Holder of the Year award, would like to announce his #LacesOut Campaign. Watch the video for more information on the campaign and how you can help.
- Throughout the 2017 season, Oklahoma’s defense has tended to adapt in-game (at some point). While that hasn’t always translated into dominating performances, it’s been enough to win games. So how will the Sooners’ defense hold up against Georgia’s offense?
- According to Pro Football Focus analyst Steve Palazzolo, Baker Mayfield is projected as the top draft-eligible prospect competing in the College Football Playoff.
- Speaking of Mayfield, the Heisman winner has accepted an invitation to the Reese’s Senior Bowl. He will be the first Heisman winner to participate in the game since Tim Tebow in 2010.
- Lincoln Riley may not have brought home any coach of the year awards this season, but he deserves more credit than he’s been getting. Nevertheless, the ultimate prize is still there for the taking, and winning that would make up for any snubs.
- Joel Klatt revealed his way-way-too-early top 10 college football teams for 2018. Watch to see why he has Oklahoma where he does and for his early take on the future Sooners.
.@joelklatt's Way (WAY) Too Early Top 10 for 2018 (sponsored by @drpepper)— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) December 21, 2017
5. Ohio State
10. MSU pic.twitter.com/NdwcuPOIc1
- Senior safety Will Johnson and incoming defensive back Patrick Fields will never play together for the Sooners, but that hasn’t prevented them from building a unique bond with each other.
- Sooner signee Jaqualyn Crawford is one of the most explosive athletes in the 2018 class. Check out this amazing display of balance and speed in yesterday’s state championship game:
- Speaking of Crawford, DID YOU SEE HIS STAT LINE IN THIS ONE?!?
- Oklahoma DL target Bobby Brown was expected to announce his commitment and sign with a school today, but it looks he’s going to push things back to the spring.
Everything is off for today bro I’m not signing today...— I hate OL's (@tre_brown8700) December 22, 2017
- Bob Stoops is still adjusting to retirement, but finding a routine is a good problem to have for the legendary former coach. No matter what, Stoops plans to remain close to the Oklahoma program, and he’s earned that privilege.
- Guard Kameron McGusty had a slow start to the season, but has really found his groove as of late. After losing a childhood friend, McGusty did some soul-searching, and in doing so uncovered a deeper strength.
- Still need a last-minute gift idea? Then you have to check out this sweet new t-shirt from our friends at BreakingT inspired by Oklahoma’s talented floor general. With how well the Oklahoma men’s basketball team is playing, I think we’re going to see a lot more hoops-themed apparel moving forward.
Around the Sports World
- So it turns out that Florida State is actually ineligible for a bowl game, but after a massive oversight of the eligibility rules, the Seminoles slipped through the cracks and are able to continue their bowl streak. They’ll probably thump Southern Miss in the Independence Bowl, but regardless of the outcome, I smell an asterisk in the future.
- Hall of Fame broadcaster Dick Enberg has passed away at the age of 82. He is the only person to win an Emmy as a sportscaster, writer and producer.
- If every NFL team could go back in time and change one thing about the 2017 season, what would it be?
- Michael Beasley is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. You just do you, my dude.
Michael Beasley has been since day one pic.twitter.com/Fnqd9lrMON— SB Nation (@SBNation) December 22, 2017
- With Christmas right around the corner, take a look back at some of the best and worst NBA Christmas jerseys from the last five years.
Stick to Sports!
- Is your IPhone battery slowing down? Here’s how to fix the problem without getting a new phone.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!