Wow. So yesterday was a day full of excitement for college football programs everywhere. Now that the dust has started to settle on college football’s first early signing period, it’s still somewhat unclear just how this change will ultimately impact recruiting in the long-term. The Oklahoma Sooners are definitely happy after 17 of 20 commits signed letters of intent. Time will tell if any surprise commitments develop over the next month or so, but overall this is turning out to be yet another successful recruiting period.
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot about this guy. If you don’t remember, Chris Robison was dismissed from the Oklahoma football team late in the summer. I guess we’ll see you and the Lane Train in Norman next season, C-Rob!
No talking, we just put it on tape pic.twitter.com/iiZeDApvta— Christopher Robison (@OfficialChris_R) December 21, 2017
Baker Mayfield also chimed in, telling Kyler Murray he couldn’t wait to watch the 2018 season opener against FAU.
That game against Florida Atlantic just becomes more and more interesting. I truly hope all the best for Robison, and in reality I enjoy this kind of back-and-forth. It should be an intriguing matchup come next September!
As for today, within the Hot Links you’ll learn about how Lincoln Riley handled his first signing period as a head coach, why Tanner Mordecai is such a great fit for Oklahoma, how one tweet set in motion a five-star’s commitment and more!
- Through all the challenges of preparing for the Rose Bowl, making last-minute final visits to recruits, and doing everything else the head football coach at the University of Oklahoma is responsible for, Lincoln Riley has done a fantastic job of managing and securing his first signing class as the leader of the staff.
- Amid the allegations, Rodney Anderson had a world of support from those around him. Now that this chapter is mostly behind him, he’s ready to apply his focus back on the football field in preparation for Georgia.
- Orlando Brown has been a leader for the Oklahoma Sooners for almost his entire career. The big man plays with an edge, but he also plays for his late father, known by many as ‘Zeus.’ Brown’s goal is to become a veteran in the league, and he’s well on his way to doing just that.
- 2018 signee QB Tanner Mordecai plays the game much like Baker Mayfield. He’s fiery, energetic, and passionate. On the flipside, if you didn’t know what he looked like, you’d probably never guess he’s a star QB who’s about to play for a state championship.
- Russell Westbrook shared his thoughts on the sensation that’s sweeping the nation, Trae Young:
Russell Westbrook on Trae Young: pic.twitter.com/I5aaJeo5Iq— Royce Young (@royceyoung) December 20, 2017
- When you think of Oklahoma basketball in 2017, you’re going to think of Trae Young. Lon Kruger’s Sooners are certainly led by Young’s talent, but the team as a whole has been well put together.
- Still need a last-minute gift idea? Then you have to check out this sweet new t-shirt from our friends at BreakingT inspired by Oklahoma’s talented floor general. With how well the Oklahoma men’s basketball team is playing, I think we’re going to see a lot more hoops-themed apparel moving forward.
- Four-star defensive tackle Bobby Brown has decommitted from Texas A&M and will pursue other options. OU has been a major player in the Arlington native’s recruitment, but Alabama is also a potential landing spot for the talented defensive lineman.
When situations change...decisions are altered~leave no self doubt pic.twitter.com/yDBroWUHeL— I hate OL's (@tre_brown8700) December 21, 2017
Around the Sports World
- Is it possible that a single tweet from a Florida State fan helped the Seminoles land five-star defensive back Jaiden Woodbey?
- Talk about a possible Freudian slip, LB Rosendo Louis announced his commitment to South Florida before correcting himself and choosing South Carolina. No harm done, but still a pretty funny moment.
VIDEO: Rosendo Louis makes his announcement for *South Carolina*.— David Furones (@DavidFurones_) December 20, 2017
He botched it at first saying “South Florida” in a pretty comical moment at the ceremony.
Did #USF get an unexpected LOI from an All-American LB?@RJ_DREAMCHASER @DB_BucksFB pic.twitter.com/QTPgADw99M
- The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl is tonight. If that’s not the best/worst name you’ve ever heard for a bowl game then you need to loosen up a bit.
- This is very cool. K-Lani Nava made Texas high school football history by becoming the first female player to appear and score in a state championship game in the state of Texas.
TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL HISTORY!#Strawn kicker K-Lani Nava becomes the first female to play in and score in a high school state championship game in the state of Texas! #UILonFOX pic.twitter.com/KQpNiH5rke— FOX Sports Southwest (@FOXSportsSW) December 20, 2017
- A semi truck crashed into Portland Trail Blazer Evan Turner’s pool. I hope nobody was injured. That must have looked like straight out of an action movie.
Stick to Sports!
- There was so much alcohol in the air of this frat house, it actually registered on a breathalyzer test. While the party must have been pretty lit, the air was extremely saturated.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!