Hello once again, Sooner fans! The Oklahoma Sooners are winning awards and making All-America teams left and right, and some major news has just come out. The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) released its All-America Team and Baker Mayfield, Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown all made the list, which now makes them unanimous All-Americans! In order to be considered a unanimous All-American, a player must be named to the first team of the FWAA, AFCA, AP, Walter Camp, and Sporting News All-American lists.
It's unanimous!— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) December 13, 2017
Andrews, Brown & Mayfield named to AFCA First Team, becoming the 33rd, 34th and 35th unanimous All-Americans in #Sooners history.
➡️ https://t.co/NPZpAItqgL pic.twitter.com/L9Xnhzn74o
It’s an incredible feat that now puts Oklahoma at the top of the list with 35 unanimous All-Americans in history, more than any other school in the FBS. Be proud, Sooner fans. Be very proud. Boomer!
For today’s Hot Links, read about how Lincoln Riley compares to Barry Switzer, what OU could do when it comes time to hire a 10th assistant, what medication could cause a cyclist to be banned from the next Tour de France and more!
- WR CeeDee Lamb and middle LB Kenneth Murray have both been named to 247Sports True Freshman All-America Team. Lamb and Murray have played pivotal roles this season, stepping in for guys who left big shoes to fill after last season. Congratulations, guys!
- Lincoln Riley has been compared to Bob Stoops in several ways since he took over in June. The comparisons don’t end with Stoops, however. Riley also has shown an energy and a passion for the game much like a young Barry Switzer. Riley has taken what those two pillars have built and has not only enhanced them, but he’s made the job his own.
- FootballScoop named Bill Bedenbaugh Offensive Line Coach of the Year. Congratulations, Coach Bedenbaugh! Ever since he’s been in Norman, the offensive line play has been top notch. He definitely deserves this award.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer says Baker Mayfield has improved his draft stock more than all other draft eligible QBs. I can hardly wait to see where Mayfield is drafted. Somewhere in the first round seems to be the solid bet at this point.
- Riley has some work to do before OU hires a 10th assistant to the coaching staff. Who will it be? Which position should Riley be looking to upgrade?
- The demand for Rose Bowl tickets has steadily grown since the matchup was officially announced. That’s a good sign for what hopes to be an electric atmosphere.
- Bedlam should be moved back to Thanksgiving weekend. It makes the most sense for both schools and fan bases, plus the conference shouldn’t try to predict who will make the Big 12 Championship game.
- 30, 40 years ago, recruiting was like the wild west. Check out some of these incredible recruiting stories from Barry Switzer, like calling Billy Sims during halftime before Sims signed with Oklahoma.
- ESPN put together a list of the top 20 games of the 2017 college football season. Three games involving Oklahoma made the list, and the highest ranked one may surprise you.
Around the Sports World
- K-State wizard Bill Snyder plans to keep coaching through at least the 2018 season. If he wants to keep coaching and his health checks out fine, the Wildcats would be crazy to say no to him.
- Floyd Mayweather reveals that he has a multi-fight offer with the UFC that could earn him up to a billion dollars. That’s going to be hard to turn down, especially for the retired Mayweather.
- In one of the strangest “doping” violations I’ve ever heard of, cycling giant Chris Froome could be banned from the next Tour de France after tests showed he took too much medication for his asthma. Wait, what?
- With the OKC Thunder’s inconsistent play this season, how possible is it that Russell Westbrook, the reigning MVP, misses out on being named an all-star?
Stick to Sports!
- Jon Bon Jovi is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class of 2018 along with The Cars, Dire Straits, the Moody Blues and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Nina Simone, one of my personal favorites, is also among the list of inductees.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!