Hey, Sooner fans! It’s Thursday which means we’re only two days out from the big showdown between the Oklahoma Sooners and the TCU Horned Frogs. As for Hot Links, we’ve got a great edition for you today. The OU men’s basketball squad took care of East Central in an exhibition game last evening as Trae Young laced ‘em up for the first time in front of a Sooner crowd. Also, as you dive deeper into our links, you’ll find out why Baker Mayfield is earning more attention from NFL scouts, how Dimitri Flowers is affecting opposing defensive game plans, which obscure rivalry trophy has gone missing and more!
- The Oklahoma men’s basketball team cruised past East Central in their exhibition game 114-78. Several players were in double figures, and true freshman Trae Young showed why his arrival has been so anticipated.
- Speaking of hoops, here’s SB Nation’s college basketball preview package. There’s some good stuff in there.
- The first bucket of the game was a three from Christian James. James, sporting the new number 0 jersey, is looking to rebound from a lackluster season.
- The highly talented freshman Trae Young looking like a young Steph Curry on this shot from the parking lot:
- Seriously, the height argument is growing into one of the more tired angles for downgrading a quarterback. NFL scouts are becoming increasingly more intrigued by Baker Mayfield’s football acumen, which should be where the conversation begins and ends.
- Speaking of Baker Mayfield, here’s a really good write-up that debunks a lot of the myths about him.
- Where will Big 12 teams go bowling this season? Here’s what Jack predicts. With it being so late in the season, this weekly post has replaced his power rankings.
- Dimitri Flowers has become such a weapon for the Sooner offense that defenses are having to actively game plan to defend him. This only opens up the offense more for other players which makes Oklahoma’s offense even more potent.
- Parnell Motley has struggled in the past few games and was even benched during Bedlam, but coaches are confident he will overcome this adversity and return to early season form.
- Marquise ‘Hollywood’ Brown has defied the odds to make it where he is today, and much of his fight and determination can be attributed to his mother, who battled kidney failure while pregnant with him.
- 2019 QB commit Spencer Rattler is already rewriting the Arizona state record books, and he still has another year of high school to go. Rattler in Coach Riley’s offense is going to be an absolute nightmare for the Big 12.
Pinnacle junior QB Spencer Rattler now is possession of two 6A career state passing records: 8,640 yards, 88 TDs. Breaking ex-Horizon star Dalton Sneed's 8,377 yards, 87 TDs, from 2011-14— Richard Obert (@azc_obert) November 8, 2017
- Get to know these ladies now, because chances are they’re going to win some championships.
#Sooners fans, meet the 2018 recruiting class:— Oklahoma Softball (@OU_Softball) November 8, 2017
➡️ @VestalBrooke, RHP
➡️ @SamiSkelly, INF
➡️ Grace Lyons, INF
➡️ @grace_10_green, UTL
➡️ @audrie_lavalley, INF
Full story: https://t.co/B8WRM9pVwf pic.twitter.com/UEIbVCmgUH
- Speaking of bat sports, OU baseball had a pretty good recruiting haul for the early period, as well.
- Bedlam earned FS1 its highest ratings of the season. Reason why? The Sooners always draw an audience.
- According to the FBI, Rick Pitino was definitely aware of improper bribery going on under his watch. This whole thing just reeks of something rotten.
- Lane Kiffin’s offense at FAU is just like him: it’s both entertaining and unconventional. But above all else, it’s been mighty effective.
- In college football, strange trophies between “rivals” are being created at a rampant rate. However, one of these trophies has gone missing. The Civil Conflict Trophy between UCONN and Central Florida is no where to be found, but the question we should be asking is, does the trophy want to be found?
- After Toledo was drubbed by Ohio, the Mid-American Conference’s hopes of earning a New Year’s 6 bowl bid should now be officially over and done with. I mean, come on now, of course they’re done. This is the MAC we’re talking about.
- Monkeys, cobras, and golf, oh my! Yeah, the Nedbank Golf Challenge in South Africa saw some of the natural wildlife up close. Some of it is cute, and some of it is frightening.
“Stick to Sports!”
- Han Solo’s iconic Millennium Falcon has been spotted near an English golf course. This appears to be the actual Falcon, too, because parts of the latest movie were filmed near this location. Stuff like this makes me sort of giddy, I don’t know why.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!