Happy post-Thanksgiving, Sooner fans! The Oklahoma Sooners are one day out from taking Owen Field for one last time this season as they host the West Virginia Mountaineers. Fortunately for college football fans, there are games on all day today as well as tomorrow. So before you bunker down for the football festivities, and if you’re not out shopping today, have some leftovers, kick back and check out our Hot Links!
Today we’ve got a super deep three pointer, a worthwhile $10 bet, a flag-planting not involving Baker Mayfield and more!
- How does Oklahoma match up against West Virginia in some key areas? You may be surprised by how the game is shaping up upon closer look.
- If it wasn’t evident enough on Monday, it should now be apparent that Lincoln Riley and Baker Mayfield share an unmistakable bond.
- Speaking of Mayfield, he will be remembered for many great accomplishments after his time with the Sooners is complete. One thing is for sure though, his propensity to galvanize his team is what many will remember the most.
- The Sooners weren’t able to close this one out with a win, but that doesn’t mean it was all bad. Now I’m wondering just how deep Trae Young’s range is. This kid can flat out shoot the rock.
- Lincoln Riley has a lot of respect for his friend, WVU head coach Dana Holgorsen, stemming from their time in Lubbock.
- With West Virginia starting their second string quarterback for the game, OU must step up defensively and take advantage of the opportunity for a great showing. In the recent past, the Sooners have struggled against back-up QBs, for whatever reason.
- Sooner legend Samaje Perine is really starting to come into his own in the NFL. I won’t be surprised if in the next couple seasons Perine is considered one of the best tailbacks in the league. He’s not only that good, his work ethic is off the charts.
- On a related note, congratulations to former Oklahoma running back Roy Finch! The dude is really making a name for himself in the CFL.
Congrats to Roy Finch on being the 2017 CFL's Most Outstanding Special Teams Player! pic.twitter.com/lzGqDWuLNX— Calgary Stampeders (@calstampeders) November 24, 2017
- The two biggest rivalry games OU currently plays each made the top ten in this humorous list of the top 169 nicknames for college football rivalry games.
- If you have 10 bucks to spare, why not, right?
- It’s possible that Baker Mayfield may not have been the first player to ever plant a flag on another team’s field, but he definitely made it popular. This happened last night after Ole Miss defeated their in-state rival Mississippi State on the road:
- The last time Virginia beat Virginia Tech in football, Facebook wasn’t even a thing yet. Check out more fun facts like that one in this very informative list of what else was happening and not happening in 2003.
- Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen revealed this message written on his shirt right after he sacked Matthew Stafford. So cool.
Vikings DE Everson Griffen had a baby this morning and hasn't picked out a name yet.— FOX Sports: NFL (@NFLonFOX) November 23, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions? pic.twitter.com/8zLMuC29s7
- Two of the top teams in the AAC are squaring off today. USF visits UCF today in what has shaped up to be the premier game in the state of Florida.
- After struggling to produce offensively, some Dallas Cowboys fans do not want to see QB Dak Prescott start anymore. Boy, that was quick.
Stick to Sports!
- A giant asteroid named after a Greek demi-god will hurdle past Earth this Christmas. Sounds like an epic movie plot, right? Well, it’s for real.
- Black Friday in the UK, y’all. It’s a madhouse.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!