Hi, folks! It’s the middle of the week and Turkey Day is just on the horizon! The 4th ranked Oklahoma Sooners held their team Thanksgiving meal on Tuesday night, and should now be all systems go towards the regular season finale. The latest College Football Playoff Rankings were revealed last night with no change in the top 10 other than Clemson flipping with Miami in the 2 and 3 spots. In case you missed it, you can read our quick take on the rankings here.
Now before you make room for some turkey, pie and all the fixins tomorrow, check out today’s Hot Links. Down below you’ll find out how prepared Kyler Murray is going into the game on Saturday, which coach’s wife has babysat Dana Holgorsen’s kids, what kind of advice Mike Leach has for your wedding and more!
- Congratulations, Coach Bedenbaugh! The man is definitely one of the more underrated assistants in the country.
- The Big 12 Conference has issued a public reprimand for Baker Mayfield and the four Kansas players who refused to shake hands at the pre-game coin toss. Now that all the formalities are out of the way, Mayfield can direct all of his focus on the West Virginia game.
- For a long time, Kyler Murray has been preparing for the spotlight he’s about to be thrust into, and he’s already gained his teammates respect along the way.
- Speaking of Murray, here’s what I had to say about him this morning.
- The 2019 class was already looking strong, but it got even stronger last evening with the addition of four-star running back Isaiah Spiller.
- Don’t know anything about the Mountaineers? Don’t worry, because here are 5 things you need to know about West Virginia before they head into Norman on Saturday. Fun fact: Lincoln Riley’s wife, Caitlin, used to babysit WVU head coach Dana Holgorsen’s children. Wow, the Riley’s really are that young.
- With Oklahoma more than likely welcoming another player into its Heisman history in the coming weeks, take a look back on one of the best to ever sling it on Owen Field: Jason White. Overcoming multiple devastating knee injuries, White cemented his Sooner legacy by winning the coveted trophy and leading OU to back-to-back national championship appearances.
- With so many coaching changes at major football programs, the Sooners’ stable coaching staff could benefit on the recruiting front. Several prospects with Sooner offers are wary of the instability at these other schools and are opening up their recruitment.
- Injuries clearly play a major part in a team’s success. Oklahoma has dealt with its share of injuries this season, but coming down the stretch, the Sooners are about as healthy as they could hope for.
- The national narrative regarding OU and the Big 12 as a whole has been ‘no defense leads to high offensive stats,’ yet that same narrative never seems to be applied the other way around. Using ESPN’s football power index, the narrative just may be a little sensationalized after all.
- The OU women’s basketball team is finding its groove and winning with style. The next game is a matchup against a quality Oregon squad. Keep up the great work, y’all!
- Coach Chip Kelly is ready to make his return to the college football coaching ranks and his decision is down to UCLA and Florida. There are obvious pros and cons for each job, but in my opinion, UCLA would be the better way to go. It’s an easier path to the playoff and a more familiar region. Plus, OU and UCLA have a home and home starting next season. How cool would that be? Riley vs. Kelly. Sign me up for that.
- Speaking of the coaching carousel, it is being reported that Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin will be fired just after their final regular season game this weekend against LSU.
- I’m convinced Mike Leach has the answers to everything and he’s just messing with all of us. The man is pure comedy gold.
It’s rivalry week. #WSU is one win away from the @pac12 title game.— Aaron Levine (@AaronQ13Fox) November 22, 2017
But a reporter getting married in 9 days asked @Coach_Leach for wedding advice tonight, and Leach’s answer was incredible. I’m dying. pic.twitter.com/alhOiWd9Tv
- The Florida Atlantic Owls are out here winning games at an unprecedented clip and Lane Kiffin can’t even get a text back from Nick Saban.
- The 0-10 Cleveland Browns can still make the playoffs! What are the odds of that actually happening? Try 1 in 19 quintillion. Yes, this is not an exaggeration, this is real life. Look out, Super Bowl LII, the Browns aren’t out of this one just yet.
STICK TO SPORTS!
- So the first observable object from another solar system has been detected in our celestial stomping grounds. Astronomers believe this interstellar visitor carries organic molecules sufficient for sustaining life. This is some gnarly stuff.
- So... this footage is incredible:
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!