It’s a new day, Sooner fans. The Oklahoma Sooners had another bad outing against a conference foe, and this time it cost them against the Iowa State Cyclones. Credit the Cyclones for competing the way they did, but where do the Sooners go from here? Regrouping and refocusing are sure to be on the to-do list. From top to bottom, OU’s football concerns should and presumably will be addressed. How that will manifest itself remains to be seen, but don’t give up hope just yet, my friends.
In this edition of Hot Links, we’ve got more flag planting, trash talking, injuries and kicking woes across the country (I know, it’s not just here). Check ‘em all out now, if you can stomach it:
- By now we all saw the disaster that took place against Iowa State. Before you blame anybody in particular, just know that it was a team effort, including the guys on the offensive side of the ball. They would tell you the same thing.
- Having said that... Mike Stoops is not exactly in a good position at the moment.
- Was this the worst loss in OU history? I haven’t been a part of all the losses in OU history, so I won’t subscribe to that kind of hyperbole, but it was the worst loss in the Lincoln Riley era. Sorry for that. If we don’t laugh, we’ll cry.
- So what’s the heart of the problem? Do the Sooners lack a killer instinct? I’d say we won’t know for sure until after a few more key games, starting this week in Dallas.
- Yes, Iowa State planted their state flag on Owen Field. Yes, the “daddy” word was thrown back in Mayfield’s face. It’s not fun in the moment, sure, but you’ve gotta take the bad with the good in this sport we invest ourselves in.
- Unfortunately, several players were injured during the game. It still doesn’t excuse the lack of effort or game planning, but I understand the result a little more now.
- ESPN’s College Football Playoff expert Heather Dinich ranks the one-loss contenders and explains why Oklahoma is still in the race.
- Just as we were about to publish, the Sooners fell to No. 12 in the Coaches Poll.
- Fans at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium sang Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down” during the LSU game. I’m not crying. You’re crying.
- Some Washington fans are upset in the aftermath of head coach Chris Petersen’s comments about late kickoff times. I thought Kessenich’s cupcake bit was hilarious.
- Hey, at least he made this kick, amirite? Ugh.
- As for the Eastern Michigan kicker? Not so much. But don’t try to convince this commentator that he missed it!
Sports: always the unexpected.— Brad Galli (@BradGalli) October 7, 2017
But what the heck is this? Eastern Michigan did not, in fact, answer. pic.twitter.com/BEfs1cCM3v
- Looks like a horrendous attempt at flopping to me, but what do you think Michigan QB John O’Korn was doing here?
“Stick to Sports!”
- I’m not too macho to say this: giant panda cubs are adorable. After yesterday’s football debacle, let the Toronto Zoo’s cutest and cuddliest attractions brighten your mood. Sound ON for this one. I promise you’ll smile.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!