Hey Sooner fans! The game we’ve all been anticipating is approaching fast as our Oklahoma Sooners prepare to face the Texas Longhorns down in Dallas at the historic Cotton Bowl. Before you chow down on tons of fried fair food, refresh your system with some Hot Links. I know I’m stating the obvious here, but there are lots of compelling storylines surrounding this one, folks. All the preseason goals the Sooners had for themselves are still in place, and a big part of Baker Mayfield’s legacy is on the line. Oh, and if you haven’t heard yet, Adrian Peterson was traded! Read about all that and much more!
Now onto the links!
- The Sooners will have to carry a terrible Iowa State loss on their resume going forward, but all goals are still within reach, beginning with defeating the Longhorns.
- The legacy of Oklahoma quarterbacks are measured by championships won and victories over Texas. Baker Mayfield will be playing for his second win in three starts against the ‘Horns this Saturday.
- The status of several players on both sides of the Red River are still up in the air as Oklahoma Head Coach Lincoln Riley does not yet know if several key players will be available while Texas head coach Tom Herman has not yet determined his starting quarterback.
- Some interesting OU-Texas score predictions and why Oklahoma’s loss to the Cyclones spells trouble for UT in this roundtable of Dallas Morning News sports writers.
- Have you ever wondered why glass bottled drinks aren’t sold at the Cotton Bowl? You’ll have to go back 70 years, which was the last time both OU and Texas debuted new head coaches in the rivalry.
- Former OU running back Adrian Peterson has been traded from the New Orleans Saints to the Arizona Cardinals. Wow. I think that’s pretty good for all parties involved.
- In other former Sooner news, Minnesota Viking QB Sam Bradford re-aggravated a knee injury in Monday night’s game against the Chicago Bears.
- From the past to the future, 2019 Oklahoma QB commit Spencer Rattler looks to be the real deal. His film is incredibly impressive, and he’s only going to get better as he matures.
- Oregon State University and head coach Gary Andersen have parted ways. Kind of weird for Anderson to agree to forgo his buyout, no? There was a lot of time and money left on that contract.
- The Florida Gators are transforming into actual alligators. Okay, not literally, but it’s an intriguing concept. I will say the execution leaves a bit to be desired, in my opinion.
- The New York Giants just aren’t having the best of luck with injuries this season, especially to their wide receivers. Now Brandon Marshall is out.
- Was this on purpose? I mean, it had to be, but why would you put so much mustard on that throw, Jack?
BREAKING: Cleveland Browns sign Jarrett Jack to 2-year deal worth $15M pic.twitter.com/kUURKRwyQJ— NFL Memes (@NFL_Memes) October 10, 2017
- In real NBA news, Pelicans point guard Rajon Rondo (yeah, I didn’t know either) will likely miss the first 10 games of the season to recover from sports hernia surgery.
‘Stick to Sports!’:
- As artists everywhere are paying homage to the loss of the legendary Tom Petty, check out Jason Isbell’s rendition of “Refugee.” Excellent stuff.
Follow Crimson & Cream Machine on Twitter!