This weekend saw a couple of good matchups between ranked teams, but the top seven teams in both polls remain the same. Wisconsin moved into the AP top 10 after the big road win at Michigan State, dropping Sparty out of the top 10. Stanford survived at UCLA last night and head to No. 10 Washington this Friday night. Lamar Jackson and No. 3 Louisville head to No. 5 Clemson next weekend for a dazzling Week 6 matchup in the ACC.
Here are a few other poll notes before OU begins conference play in Fort Worth this weekend:
- The Sooners under Bob Stoops are unranked before October for the first time since 2005. The Georgia Bulldogs, after their stellar showing at Ole Miss, knocked Oklahoma from its’ No. 25 AP spot. Could this be the added edge this squad needs before Big XII play?
- No. 13 Baylor remains the highest-ranked Big XII team after beating a mistake-heavy Oklahoma State squad in Waco. Following a long weather delay before the conference’s primetime matchup for the second week in a row, the Bears showed their offense (and defense) have not slowed down much from the last few seasons and look very capable of winning the league. Can’t help but feel the Pokes could’ve stolen that one last night, though.
- Trevor Knight and No. 9 Texas A&M flipped spots in the AP with now-No. 10 Washington after a strong win against Arkansas. The Aggies defense allowed only one touchdown in the second half against the Hogs and continues to impress as they go deeper into conference play.
- LSU and Auburn played out one of the craziest finishes we’ve seen in awhile. After starting the season as the AP No. 5, Les is on a hotter seat than ever as he’s led his unranked Tigers down a stumbling road yet again.
- Lastly, of course, Jack’s favorite 1930s Manhattan Michigan man continues to show up with his no. 1 vote for his Wolverines, and could likely find friends soon if Harbaugh’s bunch can beat Wisconsin in a top-10 Big 10 matchup this week.