In the last decade, college football uniforms have gone from having a small cult following interest to being a prime recruiting tool and the subject of countless blog posts. Keep in mind, when compiling this ranking, the main factor I took into account is how these uniforms would look opposite those beautiful metallic crimson helmets with the interlocking OU. The best uniform game we’ll see all year happened last April in the Red/White game.
12. Texas Tech- The standard uniforms aren’t terrible, but the seemingly WWE-themed alternates they come up with every year are inexcusable.
11. Kansas- Usually KU goes with pretty standard blue & white uniforms that give me no reason to complain, but then they throw in eyesores like this a few times a year. The Jayhawks have a long road to being an intimating football presence, and large smiling Jayhawks on helmets is not the place to start.
10. UL Monroe- There really isn’t anything wrong with this gear, it just kind of gives off a create-a-team in EA Sports NCAA football 2003 vibe. Obviously ULM doesn’t have a large history, and their jerseys and logo suggest this.
9. Iowa State- Do you ever blur your eyes, and use your imagination when OU is playing the cyclones, and think, “In spite of the fact that they have the most iconic and impressive uniforms in the country, we are really kicking USC’s ass tonight”?
8. Oklahoma State- The Pokes have some pretty tough uniforms to analyze. I actually think when black is the lead color, orange is used as piping, and the brand logo is on the helmets, OSU has some really clean looks. The problem is nothing screams little brother louder than chrome cartoon Pistol Pete with bandanna lining.
7. West Virginia- The Mountaineers Stormtrooper away kit is one of the best in the big 12, but if we were to get a yellow-out promotion for the Sooner’s trip to Morgantown this year, I’d probably turn off the TV and listen to the smooth sounds of Toby Roland.
6. TCU- Purple & silver is a color combination that I have absolutely no problem with, as you will find later in this list. I do have a very big problem with frog skin camouflage.
5. Baylor- As much as I want to knock these uniforms, they are pretty well done. My biggest gripe is the ridiculous bear claw on the shoulder pads.
4. Houston- Apparently the Cougars are premiering these new threads this year against the Sooners. I will give UH a lot of credit, I am in no way interested in them as an expansion candidate, but a jersey that looks like OU and Texas had a baby is a great way to trick Bob Bowlsby into thinking you have more tradition than you actually do.
3. Texas- I know I will catch some flack for having the ugliest color ever conceived this high on the list, but crimson & cream and burnt orange split at the 50 yard line in early October is one of the most beautiful sights known to man. There is no good without evil.
2. Kansas State- K-State combines one of the best logos in all of sports with a creative color scheme. The clean, mistake free brand of football The Fighting Bill Snyders play is well represented by their uniforms.
1. Ohio State- Seeing the shining scarlet & grey, and the metallic crimson and cream under the lights in the fall in Norman is the stuff of dreams. I would argue that just like in the all-time AP poll, this is the greatest combination game in college football.