Earlier this morning, the Oklahoma Board of Regents approved the proposal from the OU Athletic Department to move forward with plans to renovate Gaylord Memorial Stadium. The estimated cost of the renovation comes in at $370M while no state-appropriated funds or funds from student tuition will be used.
As a lifelong OU fan, I'm pretty fired up right now. These facilities will only increase the standard of excellence in Norman. #Boomer— Gabe Ikard (@GabeIkard) June 25, 2014
Assuming everything goes according to plan, the changes would push the Oklahoma Sooners to the forefront of fan and student experience, not to mention the student-athlete.
A few of the proposed changes include (taken from SoonerSports.com):
- Restroom facilities are projected to increase by 43 locations, while 69 additional points of sale for concessions will be constructed.
- An increase in the square footage of the stadium's south end zone will feature an expansive 46,000-square foot fan plaza and a covered upper concourse.
- A major redevelopment of the Barry Switzer Center will also result in nearly 50,000 square feet of new space for student-athletes.
- Weight room facilities are slated to be enlarged, resulting in a year-round high-performance training, conditioning and speed enhancement center measuring 30,852 square feet.
- Escalators are proposed for installation at Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium as 16 moving stairways and 18 new elevators will expedite fan movement.
- A new west stadium concourse will nearly double the existing fan space in that area, while media, broadcast and game operations areas on the west side of the facility will be completely reconstructed, adding more than 32,000 square feet to those areas that will be equipped with the latest technology.
To read the complete article, visit SoonerSports.com
VIDEO: @OU_Football stadium plan including Boren, Castiglione, Stoops: http://t.co/VUdgvIMQ6P http://t.co/MXPT6SpEYV pic.twitter.com/hzKwwTBPW7— Sooner Sports TV (@SoonerSportsTV) June 25, 2014
For the best fans in the nation http://t.co/Sdc7iQ8cyS // pic.twitter.com/p4qtKzfs55— Oklahoma Sooners (@OU_Athletics) June 25, 2014
This will work. #Sooners pic.twitter.com/dVmlOHqpBn— Kenny Mossman (@Kenny_Mossman) June 25, 2014
137,000 square feet of football ops – a place to earn everything: http://t.co/UHY5e5duWg // pic.twitter.com/I6j7AVS9YG— Oklahoma Football (@OU_Football) June 25, 2014