Oklahoma State currently holds a three-game lead atop the Big Twelve baseball standings and are poised to make a run at the top seed in next month's conference championship tournament in Oklahoma City. After dropping the opener of their series (3-0) against Texas, in Austin, the Cowboys game back to win on Saturday (2-1) and Sunday (8-3) to take the series.
OSU will step out of the conference this coming weekend to host Arizona State before ending their season by traveling to Manhattan to play Kansas State and then the Bedlam Series. You have to say that, at this point, the Cowboys will most likely be the top seed when the tournament rolls through Bricktown.
Big XII Baseball Standings
The Oklahoma Sooners were swept by Texas Tech, in Lubbock, over the weekend, which continues a streak for OU in which they've won just one of their last nine conference games. With Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State left on the schedule, it is time to legitimately be concerned about the potential of Oklahoma not qualifying for the Big XII Tournament.
The West Virginia Mountaineers continued their hot streak by sweeping Kansas State in Morgantown. WVU is now at .500 in conference play and has climbed the conference ladder for two weekends in a row now.
Rounding out the bottom three of the conference. The Baylor Bears were swept by the Kansas Jayhawks, in Waco, setting up a conference match-up between two teams who were swept last weekend when the Bears travel to Norman on Friday.
It was TCU's turn to step out of conference this weekend as the Frogs swept Cal St. Northridge in Ft. Worth.
* After smashing Oklahoma's pitchers for a total of 37 runs over the weekend, Texas Tech takes over as the conference leader in team batting with a collective .296 average. Kansas State (.292) and West Virginia (.290) are just behind to round out the top three.
* Texas is still the top pitching team in the Big Twelve with a 2.21 ERA but TCU is closing in at 2.30. TCU's Preston Morrison has taken over the top spot in the conference with an individual ERA of 1.42 on the year.
* West Virginia's Bobby Boyd continues to be the conference leader in batting, with a .379 average, and in total hits with 64 on the season.
* Kansas State's Ross Kivett has a one run lead (42) over Texas Tech's Eric Gutierrez (41) for the most runs scored in the conference.
* Gutierrez is leading the Big Twelve in home runs now by passing up Connor McKay of Kansas. Gutierrez has knocked 10 long balls this season. He also leads the conference in RBI with 47 on the year.
* TCU's Brandon Finnegan's strikeout count now stands at 96 and his average is 12 KO's per game.
* Baylor's Josh Michalec recorded his, Big Twelve best, 15th save last week.