The Oklahoma Sooners return to the hardwood this evening as Washburn comes to town for a preseason exhibition match-up. Set to tip-off at 7 PM in the Lloyd Noble Center, Oklahoma remains unbeaten by the Ichabods in seven meetings.
What You Need To Know About Washburn
- An NCAA Division II member, the Ichabods reached a 17-10 record but failed to make the post season. Heading into this season, Washburn has been tabbed as the 3rd best team in their conference after a sixth place finish a year ago.
- Returning three starters, Coach Bob Chipman has a core to build around. Alex North, the teams leading scorer at 16.1 points per game and leading rebounder at 10 per game, has the ability to stretch the floor and knock down three point attempts. Behind him, Kyle Wiggins provides another scoring option after posting 15 points per game and a team high 4 assists per contest. Stephon Drane rounds out the trio of returning starters.
- Obtaining a transfer from Alabama, Algie Key is familiar with Oklahoma and their style of play. In Dallas, Key scored a game high 20 points for the Crimson Tide in a loss to the Sooners.
What You Need To Know About Oklahoma
- The Sooners return four starters from a team that ranked seventh nationally in scoring output. The 81.9 points per game marked the highest total for an Oklahoma squad in the past 20 years.
- Buddy Hield leads the charge as the vocal and scoring leader of this team. Averaging 16.8 points per game last season, Hield found his range. Now, he looks to combine the attack mentality with the 3-point shot for a well rounded game. Point guard, Jordan Woodard provides great vision and has the ability to get to the free throw line consistently while Ryan Spangler gives the Sooners a physicality on the boards they desperately need. Finally, Isaiah Cousins provides the second scoring option at 11 points per game.
- Fans will have the chance to see a new starter, likely Khadeem Lattin at center.
- Oklahoma comes into the season ranked for the first time in the past five years. This season the Sooners come in at No. 19 and have been labeled as a sleeper.