Date: Saturday, Sept. 4
Time: 6:00 p.m. (CT)
Location: Norman, Okla.
Stadium: Oklahoma Memorial
|2009 Stat Comparison||Oklahoma||Utah State|
|Rushing Offense||134.62 (77)||192.58 (20)|
|Passing Offense||289.23 (11)||246.75 (36)|
|Total Offense||423.85 (23)||439.33 (12)|
|Scoring Offense||31.08 (29)||29.08 (47)|
|Passing Efficiency||130.68 (52)||138.70 (33)|
|Rushing Defense||92.92 (8)||205.50 (110)|
|Passing Defense||179.69 (20)||249.58 (101)|
|Total Defense||272.62 (8)||455.08 (113)|
|Scoring Defense||14.54 (7)||34.00 (107)|
|Pass Eff. Defense||98.98 (7)||136.23 (86)|
|Net Punting||40.27 (5)||35.42 (68)|
|Punt Returns||16.26 (3)||6.14 (97)|
|Kickoff Returns||20.82 (83)||23.19 (36)|
|Turnover Margin||0.31 (T-36)||0.50 (24)|
|Sacks||2.92 (6)||1.42 (100)|
|Tackles for Loss||7.54 (9)||4.42 (109)|
|Sacks Allowed||1.15 (16)||2.67 (98)|
Offensive Keys To The Game
1) O-line: This is the most crucial area in need of improvement from last season. Even against Idaho State the Sooners were shut down on the goal line. That can't happen again this season. The offensive line must provide a push for the running game as well as protection for Landry Jones.
2) Success on the ground to open up play-action passes: DeMarco Murray is supposed to be the lone feature back this season and he knows that he has to produce early in order to keep it that way.
3) Protect the football: Utah State is a team that Oklahoma should put away early unless they turn the ball over.
4) No injuries: Should go without saying but OU needs everyone healthy next week against Florida State.
Defensive Keys To The Game
1) Containment: Oklahma's defensive ends are going to have to stay home in order to keep Diondre Borel as a one dimensional threat.
2) First level tackling: Going back to junior high basics the Sooners need to hit and wrap and not just rely on powering ball carriers to the ground with a big hit. I want to see proper technique from Oklahoma's tacklers.
3) Nothing behind you: This is a great game to break in new corners. Jamell Fleming and Demontre Hust are going to be tested but more so in schemes and alignments. If Oklahoma's corners get burned tonight then it could be a long season for the defense.
4) No injuries: See above on offense.