Texas and Oklahoma went into their weekend series tied atop the conference standings but the Longhorns left no doubt remaining as to who is playing the best baseball in the Big Twelve. In their three-game sweep of the Sooners, Texas held one of the conference's most productive offenses to eleven runs while plating 25 runs themselves. With the sweep over Oklahoma, Texas takes sole possession of first place in the conference but don't sleep on Oklahoma State. The Cowboys are riding a five-game Big XII winning streak.
The Sooners dropped from being tied for first to sitting all alone in the Big Twelve's sixth spot and are sitting on a four-game losing streak. Up next for Oklahoma, in conference play, are the West Virginia Mountaineers who suffered their own set back over the weekend when they were swept by Oklahoma State in Morgantown. Since owning the Big Twelve's top spot a couple of weeks ago, WVU has dropped six consecutive conference games.
TCU took two of three games from Kansas, in Lawrence, over the weekend to move into third place. The Frogs will travel to Austin this coming weekend to take on the Longhorns.
The preseason favorites to win the conference continued their struggles over the weekend as well. Texas Tech hosted Kansas State and took all three games in the series. The weekend sweep raised the Red Raiders to above .500 in conference play and dropped the Wildcats, who have lost five conference games in a row, to 2-7 in the Big Twelve.
It was Baylor's turn to take the out of conference series and it made for a long weekend. The Bears dropped to of their three games against Dallas Baptist, in Dallas, and now sit with an overall record of 16-19, and are 4-7 in the Big XII.
* Despite their poor conference record, the Kansas State Wildcats have taken over the top spot as the best hitting team in the conference. With a team average of .296 KSU leads the Big XII, with Kansas and Texas Tech following to round out the top three.
* Behind the arm of Nathan Thornhill (Big XII Pitcher of the Week) the Texas Longhorns continue to own the best pitching staff in the conference with a team ERA of 2.11 on the year. TCU and Oklahoma State round out the top three.
* TCU's Boomer White takes over as the Big XII's top hitter with his .379 average on the year. He also leads the conference in total hits with 53.
* Nathan Thornhill still has an eye-popping 0.78 ERA which by far places him as the top pitcher in the conference. His six wins on the season tie him with TCU's Brandon Finnegan and KU's Drew Morovick for the most in the Big Twelve.
* Oklahoma's Hunter Haley and Kansas State's Ross Kivett lead the conference in runs scored with 36 each.
* Connor McKay of Kansas has knocked a Big Twelve best nine home runs. He is also tops in the conference in RBI with 38 for the year and slugging percentage at .611.
* TCU's Brandon Finnegan has fanned 84 batters and is averaging over twelve strikeouts per game.
* Baylor's Josh Michalec owns a Big Twelve best 12 saves this season.