I was reading comments on a post about Willie Martinez taking another job (which I fully support) and the conversation somehow turned into a comparison between Sam Bradford and Landry Jones. And I am wondering WHY? Do we have a choice between the two next year?
Landry might be OU's all time leading passer, but he is no Sam Bradford or Jason White. They both had intangibles that Landry just doesn't have. But last I checked, Bradford and White aren't backing Landry up... Blake Bell and Drew Allen are.
The hype surrounding Landry's return is not because people think he is the best QB in college... and I don't think he is either. Landry is only one piece of OU's championship puzzle. We have a legitimate shot of competing for a Big XII and national championship if everything else falls into place. By everything else, I mean:
- Firing Willie Martinez (and YES, I used the "F" word)
- Hiring Mike Stoops
- Heupel continues to use the "Belldozer" package in short yardage situations
- Dom Whaley recovering and continuing to dominate in the running game
- One of our WRs stepping up to be "that guy"
- Signing Green-Beckham wouldn't necessarily hurt either
All of these things will solidify the TEAM, and take pressure off of Landry. We are a program that does not have to rely heavily on QB play (Sam Bradford was just a pleasant surprise). Typically we just need our QB to simply add a passing dimension to our offense, and Landry can certainly do that better than Blake Bell and Drew Allen.