The Oklahoma Sooners Can't Win Without "Texas Boys?"

It never seems to fail! This topic will rear its ugly head in almost every post here at the Crimson and Cream Machine but how much of it is truth? We all know that Texas is a pool of talent ripe for the picking and many times the Oklahoma Sooners have dipped down in their bag of tricks to pull an Adrian Peterson out of Texas. Much of this is due to a significant difference in population though. A density of an area determines the outcome of home much talent exists there. So by simply math we have - the more densely populated the area the more talent, the less densely populated the area the less talent. Now UT fanatics like to claim the Oklahoma Football Roster is full of their "Texas Boys" without any basis on that. Some will go as far as saying four of the Heisman Winners to come through OU only won the award because of these "Texas Boys." I figured, why not take a look at this years team (a championship caliber one at that) and the projected starters just to see how much truth could be found in these statements. Here is a quick look.

The highly potent score at will offense boasts only four players from the state of Texas
Texas Non-Texas
      C Ben Habern       
LT Donald Stephenson
RT Jarvis Jones LG Gabe Ikard
TE James Hanna RG Tyler Evans
WR Trey Franks WR Kenny Stills
WR Ryan Broyles
QB Landry Jones
FB Marshall Musil
RB Brennan Clay

 

The lock down defense matches the offense with four players from the state of Texas although I am not sure you can count Tom Wort as a "Texas Boy." For those of you who don't know, Tom Wort isn't even from the United States but did play high school football in New Braunfels, TX. This brings the number back down to seven total from the projected starters being from Texas. (Also Austin Box would have been the starter at MLB and he is from the great state of Oklahoma!)

Texas Non-Texas
DT Casey Walker DE Frank Alexander
MLB Tom Wort DT Stacey McGee
OLB Travis Lewis DE Ronnell Lewis
CB Demontre Hurst OLB Tony Jefferson
CB Gabe Lynn
SS Aaron Colvin
FS Javon Harris

 

Cold hard facts! In total, out of the possible 23 starters (not including special teams), Texas has landed eight spots on the Oklahoma starting roster. To put this into percentage perspective - 34.78% of the starters are from Texas leaving 65.22% of the starters hailing from somewhere else. You could always make that argument that I left the back ups off the list and so on but the starters are going to get the most playing time. Therefore, they have the most direct impact on the outcome of the game. When kids from Texas claim a majority of the starting roster, then you might have an argument that OU can't win without "Texas Boys."

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Crimson And Cream Machine

You must be a member of Crimson And Cream Machine to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Crimson And Cream Machine. You should read them.

Join Crimson And Cream Machine

You must be a member of Crimson And Cream Machine to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Crimson And Cream Machine. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker