Two weeks from today the Sooners will be kicking off the season against Utah State. There are still a few position battles going on but Thursday's release of the latest depth chart gives us a look at where they battles stand and offers a few surprises.
A few things that stood out to me...
- Eric Mensik starting at right tackle. This just shows his potential as the former tight end fits into the Brody Eldridge mode.
- True Freshman Kenny Stills is slated to start at receiver. This isn't new news but the depth chart shows that it also isn't a motivational ploy for the older guys as well. Stills is the real deal and will be a difference maker this season.
- Mossis Madu is backing up DeMarco Murray. This isn't a knock against Madu at all but I expected someone else's name to be in that slot. Madu had a little run in with the law and I'm on record as saying that he needs to sit a bit for it. That aside, with everything we've heard about the younger guys, I just thought someone else's name would be there.
- Trent Ratterree is number one on the tight end depth chart. He may be the hardest working player on the football team. I applaud him for the way he's come from being a walk-on to Oklahoma's best tight end.
- In Austin Box's absence, Daniel Franklin has moved onto the two-deep at middle linebacker. He's also backing up Ronnell Lewis which guarantees that he's good enough to make his way onto the field at some point this season. Jaydan Bird is backing up Travis Lewis.
- Patrick O'Hara has the edge on Jimmy Stevens as the place kicker.
A Few Odds And Ends
- Free safety Quinton Carter has always packed a punch but now he's leading DeMarco Murray down that path. Both guys participated in mixed martial arts workouts over the summer and both feel like they're in the best shape they've been in.
"Seeing (Murray) doing that, he improved his speed and power," Carter said. "He has good size, everything you want in a running back. He hasn't had any injuries this past season. He's about two years out from that. I'm looking for him to do some big things this year. Hopefully, he can rush for 2,000 (yards)."
- As we've speculated for a while now, and updated on Friday, Justin Chassion won't be back with the Sooners. Hey, a scholarship just opened up!
- Also as we previously reported. Kicker Matthew Moreland is no longer with the team.