I'm not sure how much detail this has been covered in already, but in case you hadn't heard, the preseason USA Today Coaches Poll is out (link). Florida had a solid grasp on the top spot with 53 first place votes. Texas was at #2 and they managed to get 4 first place votes. Oklahoma was at #3 and USC was at #4, and each team received one first place vote.
The Top 10 was rounded out by #5 Alabama, #6 Ohio State, #7 Virginia Tech, #8 Penn State, #9 LSU, and #10 Mississippi. No that's not a typo, Mississippi is in the Top 10.
As far as OU opponents go:
- Brigham Young (BYU) squeaked into the Top-25 with the #24 spot.
- Texas (mentioned above) is ranked just above OU with the #2 ranking.
- Oklahoma State will start off the season with the #11 ranking.
- Nebraska takes home the #22 ranking.
- And in the "others receiving votes category", with the theoretical ranking listed in paretheses: Kansas (26), Texas Tech (28), Miami (33).
This means that the Sooners are slotted to play 4 preseason Top-25 teams (33% of their games). Over half (7) of their games will be against teams within the Top-35. Amazingly, only one of those seven games will be played in Norman. This also means that the Sooners will open up against a ranked opponent.
Buckle up, it'll be an interesting season!