Ahh, it's good to be king! Well, not officially - but Oklahoma became the de facto #1 team with the best record in the top-25 and only 1 loss as UConn went down last night. Anyways, here's some nuggets about the basketball team in the news or what-not:
- As was noted in a recent story on the blog, Blake Griffin and Willie Warren took home Big 12 Player of the Week and Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors, respectively. Congrats to them.
- The Sooners have stayed relatively injury free the entire season, which has definately helped. But that doesn't mean they aren't banged up a little bit. That's why this week-long break comes at a great time, right before a 3-day stretch with games in Austin and hosting the Jayhawks.
- OU gets hated on in a lot of rating systems. We are 14th in the Ken Pomeroy rankings which seems exceptionally low. I've seen those ratings used by other blogs on this network as a scouting report and/or game predictor. Pretty interesting.
- Speaking of the Pomeroy rankings, they do offer predictions of future games. It gives us two more losses, a 72-73 loss at Texas (a 47% chance of us winning), and a 82-76 loss at Mizzou (a 28% chance of us winning). Granted it has Texas ranked #25 and Mizzou ranked #8. Another interesting tidbit from the Pomeroy rankings, we have the 4th most efficient offense in the country!
- And speaking of Texas, they are on a pretty epic slide. They've lost 4 of their last 6, and were taken to overtime by Colorado in one of those wins. Not only did they lose last night to Texas A&M they got dominated. That being said, I always hate hitting underachieving teams right when they are nearing what should be the end of their slump. Especially in a rivalry game at their place. Texas is 10-2 at home, so they could cause some problems.
- OU has wound up with some pretty impressive non-conference victories. Utah is 18-6 with an RPI of 11. Virginia Commonwealth is 18-8 with an RPI of 66. USC is 15-9 with an RPI of 43. Purdue is 19-6 with an RPI of 27. UAB is 17-8 with an RPI of 39. Davidson is 21-4 with an RPI of 50. All of that adds up to a seasoned team. Not to mention we won the preseason NIT against some stiff competition, so it looks like we can compete well on neutral courts and in tournaments.
- We have a stellar recruiting class for next year. Jeff Capel knows what he's doing. ESPN has it as the 4th best class nationally.
That's it! Boomer!
FanPost are for the voice of the fan and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Crimson and Cream Machine administrators.